Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Ads] Ads Filter

I know we can't pick and choose what ads to see, but at least for a teensy bit of decency (especially for people listening to spotify in a professional work environment) can we not have half naked Victoria's Secret super sexy models?

Personally, I could care less about ads. And in fact, I am a woman who shops at Victoria's Secret. Still- I just had an awkward moment with some coworkers AND my boss. I'd like very much for that not to happen again. In the very least, how about an image that isn't half the size of the window? 

I know no one's going to agree, and believe me, I'd be the last person to complain about spotify (it's awesome). But seriously, it's a bit much.

Thanks.

Updated on 2020-12-07

Hi everyone,

Thank you for adding your votes and comments to this idea, we appreciate your patience.

We're just checking in, to confirm we're keeping this set to 'good idea'.

We are working on making ads more personalized, to create better experiences for our users.

Rest assured we're continuing to bring your feedback to the right teams here too.

Comments

Hello, I am a wh male adult whose profile apparently makes me an ideal candidate for adversitements related to alcohol.  I am also a recovering alcoholic.  while i have no demands on society to change attitudes or advertisement, it would be nice not to have a product marketed to me that i will not buy.

aliendude5300

I see advertisements for products that I won't buy all the time. I don't smoke, but I see ads for tobacco every time I go to a gas station. It's not like I have to purchase what's advertised to me. Alcohol related ads bring in money to pay for the content that you listen to, and I'd assume that they have trouble filling those ad spots otherwise. Nobody is forcing you to buy anything. If you have that much of a problem with it, you can get the "unlimited" service for $5 a month, which is much less than you'd pay for most services such as utilities, rent, etc. and is by no means unaffordable.

erica80

Fail! I've uninstalled Spotify. I understand that ads pay the bills, but do you not have any kind of ad targeting? I was listening to a collection of church hymns and I was interrupted with an ad for Durex condoms. I had it on in my house, my kids were listening and boom, I hear some lady talking about great sex and the difference between men and women. 

FAIL and I'm offended. I've uninstalled Spotify. I refuse to install the stuff again because I prefer to talk to my children about condoms and sex rather than having some ad do it. I never in a million years would think that a company would be playing ads for condoms on stuff that young children would be listening to. 

Spotify programmers must be stupid if they can't fathom and worse Durex has to be a moron for thinking that I might be interested in those ads when I'm listening to hymns. I'm also contacting them to talk about their failure. 

FYI, my husband will be canceling his paid subscription to Spotify when he gets home. 

adreamforthe

Would it be possible to look into an ad swap option like Hulu's? Or just review and adjust how many times an ad plays in a certain timeframe.

I've been listening to Spotify for about five hours now while writing a report and if I hear that Durex ad one. more. time. I may have to swear off safe sex.

idunnowhatthis

Same here.

adam1book

I COMPLETELY agree, this is very inappropriate.  I just had the same thing happen to me.

AmandaHowell

I definitely agree.....I ran across this while looking for a place to complain about a Durex ad that played. Seriously? I have to listen to condom ads in the middle of my music? Not cool Spotify!!

Mr-Snuffles

I agree this is super awkward when these ads come on. I can't believe Spotify has these ads on. I was listening to spotify in my office at my design internship and the ad came on and my boss was walking by. Super embarrassing! I thought it was a fluke and then I was hanging out with my friends and the ad came on again. I am getting super upset at spotify!

kaxen6

The condom ads are driving me crazy. Same with the ads for "For a Good Time Call" I do not need to hear about this stuff. These ads aren't relevant to my interests at all and it is totally awkward when other people overhear it. 

takingbackbenny

But it's not inappropriate for MTV to campaign "women's essentials"? Cmon, this is the world we live in. Catch up.