Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Ads] Ads Filter

I know we can't pick and choose what ads to see, but at least for a teensy bit of decency (especially for people listening to spotify in a professional work environment) can we not have half naked Victoria's Secret super sexy models?

Personally, I could care less about ads. And in fact, I am a woman who shops at Victoria's Secret. Still- I just had an awkward moment with some coworkers AND my boss. I'd like very much for that not to happen again. In the very least, how about an image that isn't half the size of the window? 

I know no one's going to agree, and believe me, I'd be the last person to complain about spotify (it's awesome). But seriously, it's a bit much.

Thanks.

Updated on 2020-12-07

Hi everyone,

Thank you for adding your votes and comments to this idea, we appreciate your patience.

We're just checking in, to confirm we're keeping this set to 'good idea'.

We are working on making ads more personalized, to create better experiences for our users.

Rest assured we're continuing to bring your feedback to the right teams here too.

Comments
SilverSonic

Having a naked picture of Lizzo or any other person is not appropriate to put in an ad. Also I find that particular picture disgusting. I will not subscribe to Spotify because I don’t have this problem on other streaming services. 

LouisBrooks

Different ads can be incredibly distressing for different people. It is reasonable to expect to be able to block content with a certain subject matter from being forced on us.

ParentalControl

I feel like explicit filter on the app settings should also affect how we receive ads.

zucchinimuffin2

This was in 2018 and they still haven't done anything about this. There's a Trojan ad that I think is very NSFW and I hate hearing it. I don't mind ads in general, but I wish there was a Safe for Work/ Family Friendly option for ads. If this ad keeps playing I won't be using Spotify anymore

orangesakura

My 3 year old daughter listens to my spotify account almost the whole day. And like so many other users who have a free account, I do not mind the ads. What i mind is the age inappropriate ads that spotify shows. These days, it's the ad for the new The Last of Us playstation game which is seriously disturbing. Can spotify really do anything about this? 

eidylon

It's also not about SFW or NSFW. But I've got ads coming up in languages I don't even speak! I'm using/listening to spotify in English, because it's my native language. Ads in other languages are just annoying. Plus, ads for things the I just have absolutely NO interest in, and really don't want to be hearing about while trying to enjoy my music.

I completely accept that on the free tier there are ads, ... it's how I grew up with TV and radio. But in this modern age, it really should be possible to click a link or button under the ad that says "Don't play this ad again" or something, and then that specific ad would be taken out of the rotation of ads played for your account.

ParentalControl

What happened to the thumbs up and thumbs down of ads!?

jel535s

Just as Spotify reviews music for content and allows users to report music or podcasts, there needs to be content review in place for ads. YouTube has ad standards and restricts ads with inappropriate content to serve only certain viewers. I have been served ads on Spotify that contained racist, white supremacist messages. I am shocked that ad content isn't currently reviewed by Spotify, especially given the serious concerns about political ads on other social media. Please put into place some sort of content review for ads, or at minimum create a path for users to report content when it is served to them, the same way they can report musical or podcast content.

aframe06

ok so i'm a person that would stream and play music in the background so there is at least some sound going all the time, and when the ads come on they literally start talking about places near me, and i turned off personalized ads and i don't think it fully worked because i still get ads about places near me, and also can someone make it so if there is 2 songs that transition into each other, ads wont play in-between those songs, because i hate having the buildup to the next song from the first one, and then an add plays about mcdonalds, and i swear they wait to play an ad so they can play it in between 2 songs that transition into each other.

ParentalControl

Looks like the thumbs up and down of ads are back. But it appears that features is not available with ads on Desktop app or Web browser app and it's also not available on mobile ads that say watch this video for 30 mins of ad free music.