[Ads] Relevant Ads to currently listened Music

I'll be getting premium soon but for those who use the free version, I think it would be a lot better on both sides if the ads were related to the music they were listening to.

for example if I was listening to classical music, there would be classical music related ads

if I was listening to hardcore punk, there would be ads/music events related to that genre

Just saying since it's annoying trying to sleep at night to classical music then you hear I LOVE THIS CITY, SAN FRANSISCO LOUD NOISES.

Updated on 2019-10-31

Hey folks,
We really appreciate so many of you coming to the Community, adding your votes and comments to this idea!
We're setting this idea to 'Not Right Now', as this isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.
Thanks .

Comments

I just don't understand how hip-hop, rap, R'n'B, club music, etc. commercials are being played when I am actually never listening to this kind of music. The time is just lost on me. I would not mind listening to general commercials or ads for music I actually listen to, like metalcore or anything in that direction.

You would even be able to sell your commercial space for a lot more, if the people advertising knew, their ads would reach the target audience.

I was just saying this to a friend--the ads annoy me mainly because they are nothing like the music I am listening to!  But maybe that's the point--to spur me to buy premium. 😄

I think spotify is using targeted ads in reverse, just to annoy us to get the premium, or I might be wrong and the only ones advertising in spotify are some idiotic rappers since those are pretty much only ads I get (almost only category of music that I dont EVER listen...)

I'd like to be able to thumb up and thumb down the ads, and have them based on what I thumbed up and thumbed down.  Put in a max number of thumb downs, so that listeners are being choosey over what they thumb down.  Then you'll also know what people are willing to listen to about spending money on, and it would help to target your advertising better.

Casual Listener

GET RID OF FORHIMS.COM

I'm sick of hearing Trojan Condom ads. It's really disgusting, and I have young siblings that use Spotify. They shouldn't be hearing it either.

How is The Fratellis and MTW relevant to Death Metal?

"Just pay it" is short-sighted, and very unkind to the advertisers: the adverts are not a punishment for not having a premium version, they are part of a business model where they foot the bill in exchange for making us aware of their product. That is what the OP had in mind when mentioning "better on both sides" -- both Spotify and the sponsors win if they can make the free version (with ads) a pleasant experience.

I agree that targeted ads can be a big improvement, or at least that we could have the option of "muting" certain ads which ultimately might have unintented consequences (e.g. making us hate the brand). Although this might depend on having a large enough pool of adverts. What is even worse, since it's easily fixed, are the adverts in foreign languages -- a multilingual country like Switzerland or Canada does not imply that everybody can speak all languages! (And even if this was the case, we have preferences that should be respected, as e.g. with expats.)

When you add this feature I will start using Spotify on a regular basis and not just for a song or two.  I just use things like Pandora, Google Music, and the like now for most of my music streaming because of this but would like to sue Spotify if I were not offended at every ad break.  I can deal with ads but not trash and trash music ads.

I don't know about ads targeted to specific music in terms of genre, but something that makes the ads more appropriate when you're listening to kids' music would be nice. Like, when I'm using Spotify to play Thomas and Friends and Dinosaur Train for my son, it's probably not the best time to send me an ad about sexual health.