Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Remember Position in Playlist / Album

Please remember the current song playing in a playlist so if I switch away to a different playlist and then switch back, Spotify will know where I left off.

I often can't finish a playlist right away or my mood changes so I might switch to a different playlist. Later, I want to finish the previous playlist, not start over again.

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here. 

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
bmcws

Hey Spotify, call it 'tape mode' for that extra retro coolness! Tapes are the new vinyl... Get with the game you old square fogies! Four corners or what! 

cpetsche29

This feature would be soooooooooooooooooooooo very much appreciated, especially for Android use.

Please, please and pretty please!

thE-iNviNciblE

i hope in one of the next releases this great feature with resuming a spotify playlist would be added.

Charityrose

This is a great idea! Especially since Spotify's shuffle mode sucks balls. At least this way I could eventually listen to an entire playlist instead of just the same 20-30 songs over and over.

Gossamer1

I think this would be great. Ever since the ability to long press to listen to a sample of song was taken away, I sometimes accidentally hit a song instead of keeping it up and then I lose my place in whatever playlist I was in.

I then have to go back and find it and start the song where I was. Then...the shuffle starts over which plays songs I’ve already heard...again...and so on. 

EarlPurple

This should work with a shuffled folder too, so I can continue with where I was and not hear any song again.

My folder contains thousands of songs from 63 years of music and yet I often hear one I heard before.

Simply allow us to store a "bookmark".

Ab136

I listen to audiobooks, and music in Spotify. After playing music it would be nice to get back to where I left the audiobook. 

RSI1966

I'm surprised this is not already in there, and, as so many others, I find this highly annoying. I have a playlist for songs I like to drum along with, one to listen to in the car while commuting, one with music to focus at work, and one to sing/hum/whistle when I'm strolling with the dogs. As I typically rotate between these during one day, having to scroll and figure out where I was drives me nuts!

Perhaps it might be difficult to automatically restart at the proper location, but having the last played song of a playlist stored as an attribute per playlist and use this to mark this song next time the playlist is selected, as an indication where you as a user can restart, would already be very helpful. I would not mind (too much :-)) the scrolling to find that mark, select and press play.

vigilantezack

Is this feature on the way yet?

I like to use shuffle because otherwise I'll never hear the songs toward the later part of my playlists, but if Spotify isn't remembering my history then I'm still possibly not going to hear all the songs if it plays the same ones again starting the shuffle all over.

If this doesn't already exist, I suggest a simple meta-data that tags each song only within its playlist with a play count. The idea is that when shuffling, each song would ideally play one time before repeating again. So all Spotify has to do is look at the counts and shuffle songs that need to "catch up" to equalize the counts with other songs in the list. Once all the songs have the same count, it can start repeating again. It could even be a boolean 0/1 value. Keep songs at 0 until played. The keep shuffling the 0 songs until they all reach 1, then reset all the songs to 0 and start over shuffling randomly.

It would have to remember play count per-playlist obviously, since the song could exist in multiple playlists.

motokr1s

It would be best if it worked on albums as well as playlists.

The only thing I miss about cassettes is that every one you played would start from exactly where you left it.

This feature seems common on video platforms, I wonder why not audio.