[All Platforms][Browse] Group Reissues of an Album

I would like to request that multiple reissues of an album be grouped together so that they show up as a single album when browsing through an artist's music.

Some artists--particularly successful ones--have issued multiple releases of a single album over the years: original, remaster, deluxe edition, anniversary edition, commentary, etc.  For the most part these are the same music with slight variations in audio quality or track listings.  When I'm browsing an artist, I want to see the albums they released once, not every possible re-pressing, so I can better get a feel for what they've put out or find an album.  And when I put an artist on shuffle, I want to have that album in the mix once, not 5 copies of the same songs, and skip the commentary tracks.  I understand some fans love having the extra content available (and in reviewing related suggestions I see adamant fans of particular masterings), but the duplicates become unwieldy.

I suggest grouping reissues of an album together as a single group on the artist page, and allowing the user to flip through the different versions using a dropdown near the album name.  Selecting a version of the album would update the album block (on desktop) or album screen (on mobile) to show the tracks from that version of the album.  This would allow the user to focus on just the version of the album they want to listen to, while retaining access to all the alternate editions.  Making this change would significantly streamline the artist pages and improve the listening experience when on shuffle.

Thanks!

Updated on 2020-03-26

Marked as new idea.

Comments
Rock Star 23
Rock Star 23
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-03-26

Marked as new idea.