Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Change playback speed when listening to music

Ok before i start i want to tell you of the history of the requests for this issue. the oldest request i can find had 573 upvotes and was a generally good idea (Link to OP). 

spotify's response:

Hey folks. We're marking this idea as Case Closed today as it's "Not Right Now" status hasn't changed in over 3 years. We're working hard to update the ideas you're voting on that have a chance at getting built at Spotify--we're trying to be fully transparent here. Please continue to leave your feedback here in the Idea Exchange so we can bring it to our product owners, thanks!

Now this response is basically saying: "since we dont have the time to implement this right now, we are going to close this case and never come back to it."

Another user had the same issue i had (post here) AND HE GOT CASED CLOSED FOR TRYING TO BRING BACK THE DISCUSSION.

Ok, now i think spotify should allow you to change the playback speed of tracks. Youtube has that abillity and honestly this makes me want to cancell my spotify premium plan and switch to a youtube red plan. Spotidy could even use it to get more premium users if it was a premium only feature. A lot of users like to listen to music at faster or slower speeds (especially slow orchestral music) and for us Youtube would be a better option.

Thank you for listening to my rant - Gacko

Updated on 2023-03-24

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here.

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Samarth02

Respected sir,

I have a suggestion regarding your app.You can program that it can adjust the playback speed of songs. And it will be a new type of experience because many of my friends like to listen music in slow and speed tracks and I hope it will be helpful for them I hope my suggestion will be helpful for you
Please let me know that how was my suggestion

Your lovingly
Spotify user Samarth 
rg1i8wduyky0k1czavo

Add a bar that make a song slowed down or sped up. 

Yordan
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2023-03-24

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here.

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

knowltont

I understand this is marked as "Not Right Now" and the chances of "Ok Right Now" seem pretty bleak given that, based on this ticket, you have been asserting its not a product need for going on at least 4 years. I obviously enjoy the platform as my partner and I share a Premium Duo account and our son has his own playlists on both our logins. It's safe to assume we'll probably upgrade to a family account when he is a little older so he can have his own login and playlists separate from ours. 

I also really enjoy podcasts, but the funny thing is using Spotify as a podcast platform has always been a non-starter since you brought them to your service BECAUSE this feature has not been implemented.  I love music and have no interest in speeding it up.  But podcasts aren't set to a beat count, some people talk slow, some people talk fast.... Personally I loathe most podcasts at 1x playback speed and I know there is a large segment of your user base who feels exactly the same way.

Maybe all that money to Joe Rogan for his mindless tripe kept you from hiring a decent product manager for your podcast group. Maybe you ran out of engineering money spending so much time on endless quick mixes of music that I couldn't care less about.  Maybe you just don't care because your ROI is "good enough" and it's not really about your customers in the first place. 

This honestly feels like trivial work if your code and tech stack are in any kind of reasonable maintainable state. What are the actual technical hurdles of adjusting the playback speed? I would be very curious to hear what type of development work is seen as a higher priority. I'm trying to imagine the type of amazing new feature 4 years in the making that will blow my mind to the point where I need to come back and let you know "hey guys, sorry I doubted you. That targeted advertising you tweaked for the non-paying customers was totally worth me switching to a different podcast player this whole time."

Either way, you do you... But the customers willing to pay for only half your products aren't locked in, they're not committed loyal customers because they need to disengage with your platform and reengage with another.  It's only a matter of time before someone thinks of the big picture of having a unified platform that no customer wants to leave and chooses to prioritize the needs and requests of their loyal customers versus chasing whatever new cash burning project ends up falling flat on its face.

dflow

there is a free chrome plugin that can do this in the browser. Search the chrome webstore for "spotify playback speed"

Silnikov

Many people like speed-up and slowed versions of songs, that are not on streaming services, or they are unofficial reloaded material, which can cause copyright problems and create additional work for your employees and other platforms to control and remove such music from the sites. 

So, why not just create a PITCHing mode when listening to a song in spotify, which will also not spoil its original quality, and make the site itself as versatile and convenient as possible for listening to a variety of music by the user.
Pedro84

The application is great, but I noticed that there is no tool to speed up the music or not, making the translation easier to read, especially for those who are trying to understand a little of other languages, if this tool existed, for example, you could slow down the music to 0.5x and accompany the translation with the diction of the artist/singer and use the application not only for listening to music but also as a means of studying platform. 

reacesm

Yes! I always have to go on a DJ app or Soundcloud to listen to songs sped up, it would make life so much easier to have it all in the Spotify app. 

LeighJ107

This would be so helpful for those of us who do dancesport! Finding strict tempo music for practicing can be a challenge, but being able to find music in the right BPM range and tweaking it for practice would be amazing! 

Silnikov

pls, implement this idea!!!