Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Light Mode option

Hi,

The new white text on black design physically hurts my eyes and gives very bad ghosting (i.e. persistent image like those in optical illusions that make you stare at particular color combinations and then look away). I know I'm not the only one with this issue because I've researched it in the past. Without an option to switch back to the old design (White background/black text), I'll need to delete my Spotify account and find another service. Please add an option to switch between the two (because I know many prefer black backgrounds). Myself and a host of others, however, cannot use these color combinations. Please let me know if there is a work-around; it would be much appreciated. It's basically unusable to me in it's current state.

~V

Updated on 2023-03-18

Hey folks,

This idea has been moved to a wrong place in the forum but is now back in its place.

We're keeping the status of Not Right Now as we still don't have any immediate plans to implement this, however, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status if we have any news to share.

Thanks!

Comments
Marco
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2017-01-19

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. 😉

This idea is a re-post of this inactive idea.

jsonp

I've never been a fan of white text on black. It really does bother my eyes. Within a few seconds my eyes begin to strain, and it takes me a while to adjust when I stop looking at it. Switching between light and dark themes should have been an option years ago.

NikoLamar

Please implement this, it's a much better design.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey folks, it's been a while since we posted here. We want to let you know this idea status is still "Not Right Now". 

Of course we're still bringing your feedback on the new design and your desire for a UI color toggle to the right people at Spotify. If we have an update for this we'll let you know. Thanks!

jennielucas

Providing a choice of background and text colours is an idea I strongly support! At the risk of criticism for "too much information", I will add that I have a vision condition called macular degeneration. It's a slow-moving progressive loss of sight. Right now, I have no problems. But a New Idea has just crossed my mind. Adjustable font size and typeface.  In this very box for one to leave a comment, there is a drop-down list of font choices, but the fonts are all identical. I have a strong preference for a clear, non-serif font for easier viewing. Best is commercially known CG Omega, which can be found under other names. 

Thank you for the years of music, and I hope that as a long-term premium customer, my thoughts will be heard. 🎧🎹🎼

Razor_101

Would also be nice on the PC version too, just to toggle the colours over to a light theme. I like leaving my Spotify open but often find the dull black a little depressing.

meridian0413

This current colour does not help me and is very unclear, I am colour blind and can barely see the application.

Surely some skins of varying colours wouldn't be too much to ask for?

bmck4x4
I couldn't agree more!
Socratic101

Pretty crappy UI - can barely see anything with one of my monitors.  Unable to change the color?  Not rocket science to add.  Priorities seem to be misplaced.  Just signed up for premium.  Maybe go back to Pandora.  Can't stand the juvenile design and functionality!

liquidice13

@Socratic101 the UI not displaying correctly on one of your monitors is the monitor's fault, not Spotify. They built a great UI, by far the cleanest and most modern I've come across on any streaming or music platform. It's not their responsibility to cater to every device or screen. For disability purposes, sure, maybe a light UI would be helpful, but get a better monitor, really— one that allows you to take in the full magic of Spotify. If you don't like it, sorry, but you don't need to come here to this forum spewing complaints and saying you'll leave. Let's be constructive. If you simply hate Spotify and want to leave, then leave, but if you care enough about the platform to help shape and mold its future, then let's collaborate together. They receive hundreds of requests a day, and they can't make everyone happy. They have the hard job of choosing what stays, what goes, and how to improve the platform to better suit not only their user-base but also their brand.