Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Consolidate duplicates

It would be nice if Spotify can recognize identical songs to avoid duplicates in your Liked songs and playlists.

This is pretty common for songs released first as a single then within an album.

For example, if you like the single one, the UI will not show the song as liked when you browse the album. And if you like the song in the album, you'll end up with a duplicated version in your library.

This also happens a lot for songs that you listen in Daily Mix or Discover weekly. If it's not the exact same song you have already liked before, the UI is inconsistent and you can save a duplicate.

Apparently, there is already an internal merge mechanism as the play counter is not split between the different versions of the songs. Maybe this can also be used to consolidate the UI.

Repost of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Your-Music-Remove-Duplicated-Songs/idi-p/4546787 which didn't get enough kudos.

Hey everyone,

This suggestion got moved to the wrong place by mistake and we're setting it to live idea again. Thank you all for bringing your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

We'll continue to monitor the comments here. Please note that even if the status is set to “Not Right Now" - you can still add your votes and support this idea, so that it would have a better chance of being considered, as Spotify always strives to improve your experience.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
Rolly22

Generally I like this idea. However, imho this should only work if the single and album version are really the same. Oftentimes, either the single or the album are some sort of extend version. Also, this recognition is heavily based on how Spotify stores identical songs.

osornios
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated on 2019-09-26

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Jpgchief

Yeah, it happens to me all the time, then later I realize that I have twice the same track in the Playlist so would be nice if Spotify helps us with this.

MrJosephIles

This problem has existed for as long as I remeber on Spotify. It's especially annoying for artists such as Kanye West who can't seem to help themselves by constantly fiddling with their back-catalogue.

It's especially prominent since with the new 'like song' system replced the old 'save song' system. When a song comes up on a playlist and you think "hey, I like this song", you're supposed to hit that like button. But there is always that nagging voice in the back of your head which says "hey, didn't I like this song before?" You press the button anyway, and then go to your library to see if your suspicion was true... low and behold: two songs in your library that are exactly the same! (Same reason why merging singles with album versions has become even more needed recently.)

I'd have no problem with a system where the act of liking an album just creates a mirror to the artist page/latest version of that album, so that any changes to said album are automatically reflected in your library. Maybe with a small banner to indicate that this has occured like a previous poster suggested. 

Amegon

This would help a lot. I sometimes search through playlists for new songs. I will listen to whatever is not liked by me. A duplicate song gets added. Later I can sort my list by name and remove them again, but I stopped doing so, since it just leads to listening again to that song in another playlist. If you could create somethink like a link/relation to other identical songs, then you could show song properties from the one user liked/added properties. If both liked then does not matter, just show current song property, if none exist then properties from any linked identical song. Album/logo/picture does not matter for me, as long as same song.

if connection is too hard then try spotify at beginning middle and end of songs, or allow users to mark/connect with songs with exact same length.

schteff

Sometimes an album is "shadowed" by another album of the same name by the same artist in Spotify (different publishers). 

I figured this out when I noticed that my liked songs were not visible when opening the Album from certain elements in the Spotify GUI. 

This album: https://open.spotify.com/album/2b1FnOpvqqMY6B3mAA7R6r

Is shadowed by this album: https://open.spotify.com/album/3zTgTkuv0Qnd2MOREf2jXl

My liked songs (the hearts) only appear in the first album, which is only accessible by following the links in the "Liked songs" list. That album is not present under the artist page. I would of course prefer if the hearts were present in both albums. 

This is far from the only example. 

edit: I cant seem to hide the album previews and only post the links. But the IDs for the albums are 2b1FnOpvqqMY6B3mAA7R6r and 3zTgTkuv0Qnd2MOREf2jXl
schteff

Sometimes an album is "shadowed" by another album of the same name by the same artist in Spotify (different publishers). 

I figured this out when I noticed that my liked songs were not visible when opening the Album from certain elements in the Spotify GUI. 

This album: 2b1FnOpvqqMY6B3mAA7R6r 

Is shadowed by this album: 3zTgTkuv0Qnd2MOREf2jXl
(prepend open.spotify.com/album/ to see the albums)

My liked songs (the hearts) only appear in the first album, which is only accessible by following the links in the "Liked songs" list. That album is not present under the artist page. I would of course prefer if the hearts were present in both albums. 

This is far from the only example. 

(edit: this comment was made when the above comment was flagged and removed, I figured it was cause of the album art)

schteff

Another example is these songs
1: open.spotify.com/track/0zE6MtmHERIAJyZw9FKDbo

2: open.spotify.com/track/5Qwf8ygKOkgdo7q6cON6pL

I have liked the first one, but I cannot see the like when browsing anywhere but in "liked songs" since it is shadowed by the second song. 

Since the second song has replaced the first, i think the like should count for both. It's the same song...

More examples:

1. open.spotify.com/track/2YnAzEAUw5acfAa4dYdDED
2. open.spotify.com/track/0sRLz7TXZ6DA8NRn2xCdKG

st0rmtrooperx

PLEASE FIX THIS! STOP SAYING IT'S EXPECTED BEHAVIOR! I've been going through my library today and I'm shocked at how many songs/albums in my library are affected by this. I have most of Incubus saved, one of the first bands I liked when I moved to Spotify but if I go to the artist's page now, nothing is liked but it's all in my library still! This issues causes duplication in people's libraries! Ridiculous that this is considered expected behavior, FIX IT!!!!!

charleskellom

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

All (iPhone, Windows, Apple TV, LG TV)

Operating System

iOS 13.3, Apple TV up-to-date, Windows 10

My Question or Issue

So, for some reason certain songs show up in my Spotify-generated playlists as not being Liked, even though I have already Liked the songs. For example, here I am listening to Pac Blood by Danny Brown on my Daily Mix 1 (01/16/2020). It appears that I have NOT Liked this song.

PacBlood1.JPG

Yet, here is my Liked Songs playlist from my Library, with the same song from the same album clearly Liked. Notice they are both from the Deluxe Edition of the same album, and I've had the song Liked since 2013

PacBlood2.JPG

This happens all the time with a variety of different songs and it drives me nuts. The main reason I use Spotify over other services is because it used to recommend great new music for me, I assume, based on songs I had Liked or not. Now, all my Spotify-generated playlists and suggestions are filled with music I'm already familiar with...because Spotify thinks I haven't already Liked these songs.

Why are there duplicate files / resources / albums of the same version of an album? Why can't Spotify automatically detect I've already Liked these songs? Please help.

PacBlood2.JPG
PacBlood1.JPG