[All Platforms] Consolidate duplicates for liked songs

It would be nice if Spotify can recognize identical songs to avoid duplicates in liked songs.

This is pretty common for songs released first as a single then within an album. If you like the single one, the UI will not show the song as liked when you browse the album. And if you like the song in the album, you'll end up with a duplicated version in your library. This also happens a lot for songs that you listen in Daily Mix or Discover weekly. If it's not the exact same song you have already liked before, the UI is inconsistent and you can save a duplicate.

Apparently, there is already an internal merge mechanism as the play counter is not split between the different versions of the songs. Maybe this can also be used to consolidate the UI.

Repost of https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Your-Music-Remove-Duplicated-Songs/idi-p/4546787 which didn't get enough kudos.

Updated on 2019-09-26

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Comments
Owenkeys
Visitor

Theres already a web app for this if it helps. Heres the link, it works great.

https://jmperezperez.com/spotify-dedup/

Rolly22
Gig Goer

Generally I like this idea. However, imho this should only work if the single and album version are really the same. Oftentimes, either the single or the album are some sort of extend version. Also, this recognition is heavily based on how Spotify stores identical songs.

Rock Star 22
Rock Star 22
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-09-26

Marked as new idea, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Rock Star 13
Rock Star 13

Yeah, it happens to me all the time, then later I realize that I have twice the same track in the Playlist so would be nice if Spotify helps us with this.

Amegon
Visitor

This would help a lot. I sometimes search through playlists for new songs. I will listen to whatever is not liked by me. A duplicate song gets added. Later I can sort my list by name and remove them again, but I stopped doing so, since it just leads to listening again to that song in another playlist. If you could create somethink like a link/relation to other identical songs, then you could show song properties from the one user liked/added properties. If both liked then does not matter, just show current song property, if none exist then properties from any linked identical song. Album/logo/picture does not matter for me, as long as same song.

if connection is too hard then try spotify at beginning middle and end of songs, or allow users to mark/connect with songs with exact same length.