Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover Weekly] Like & Dislike Buttons

While discovering new music is of course full of adventure and wonder when you find music you've never heard of, especially when you fall in love.
The spotify personalized discover weekly playlists was a phenomenal idea and so far I'm loving my playlist. But there's a song on there I KNOW I don't like, and I wish I could ban that artist from ever showing up again.
If developers added a like or dislike button, or even a ban artist feature, it would make discovering music more personalized. If you know you don't ever want to discover another Kenny Chesney song ever again, you should be able to voice that. If you like discovering a certain kind of song, that "like" should be heard so you can discover more of it. I'm looking forward to my next playlist, I just wish it was more "personalized".

Updated on 2018-07-03

Hey,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this idea in the Community.

We’re excited to announce that Like & Dislike Buttons have now been made available for Discover Weekly.
Be sure you're on the latest version of Spotify to get rocking with any updates.

Thanks!

Comments
Redalert

It looks like at the expense of adding this feature we no longer have the repeat and shuffle button on the android interface. Are we able to bring those buttons back please?

kaitgay

I realize that Spotify may not want to offer the block/ ban feature because you guys want to encourage the discovery of new music and artists. Artists change, so do their music, how do we really know we'll never like them again, right? Fine. But given the rape and abuse scandals plaguing American culture and the music industry as a whole, I should have the option to block an artist that beats/ rapes/ commits crimes against women from ever appearing in any of my Spotify curated content. I do not wish to contribute to their exposure or listens, I do not wish to listen to them and plague my own existence with their filth. I would prefer they not be on Spotify at all, but baby steps I guess. 

robyn_memis
Dear Kaitgay, I started a "#me2 and spotify" thread (link below) in this forum telling spotify that I no longer want to have to remember the names of sexual predators in the attempt to avoid them...spotify won't ban them, Netflix did, bye bye Kevin Spacey, but spotify won't.
Please either help me get that thread going or tell me where else this is being made an issue and I'll join the band wagon.
So, what I absolutely NEED is a button that either prevents these predators from appearing in future spotify playlists aimed at me, which I rarely use. But more importantly I need to be able to brand them in some form (on the rump will do fine) so that I can easily avoid klicking on them ever again. All i want is some sign, on my platform /profile so that I know I had already deemed them unworthy.
Klick means money and I refuse to accept that my money goes to rapists. It also costs a lot of my time, reading hearing seeing about predators and making notes to remember their names, when that is the last thing I want to spend my time on. I would rather listen to music. You know that thing that you sell here at 10€ a month...

I want action!!!

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Me2-Campaign-and-Dislike-Button/idi-...
rrudolphjr

@requeteyo Thanks for the recommendation. The Deaf Joe album is fantastic!

zekeisageek

Yes, I realize that this could be used to close yourself off from new music, or could be used negatively, but either you add this feature or you remove "November Rain" from the platform completely.

I'm down with either approach.  Thanks!

yukihana

Any update on this one? I've recently made a new Spotify account because I had the mistake of sharing my original to my cousin. She and I have different taste on music. Hers found its way on my discover playlists and I am so **bleep** at myself for not realizing it sooner. Anyway, I made a new Spotify but my recent discover playlists have songs/artists I don't like/listen to. I know they're there because hey 'similar' but I want to be able to dislike or ban them. Thank you!

Krahnin

Looks like this was added to the iOS App! Absolutely love this, especially the ability to like/dislike from the lock screen and control center. 

That said, not a huge fan that 1) “liking” a song auto adds it to my library and 2) this replaced the shuffle/repeat buttons when the app is fully open. There’s enough toom for both. Wrote a much more extensive review im the app store, but there’s the TL;DR version. 

rrudolphjr

I see it, too. Thanks, Spotify!

st0rmtrooperx

This feature needs to also be added to release radar! Discover weekly is good but I use release radar more and get terrible artists that keep coming back and need to remove them from there as well.

cgapperi

Even more than a dislike button, allow us to have a 'Do not add to Discover Weekly' checkbox for playlists. I have no need to 'discover' new ambient music. There are plenty of playlists out there....