Announcements

[All Platforms][Discover] User Generated "Curated" Playlists Leveraging the Radio System

What makes Spotify so brilliant is the access to so many playlists curated and updated with new music, it is the essence of music discovery like getting a mixtape from a friend. However, given the sheer breadth of playlists available it can be quite unbecoming to find new playlists and instead resort to listening to the same set of playlists. Making a radio based on a playlist can find some new songs, but the algorithm seems to favor playing music already liked disproportionately to "new music".

Perhaps this is the fault of whatever seeds the radio system with tags and artists to base the playlist on as they tend stick to a very narrow band of musical taste. I have found it quite impossible to generate a radio station that plays many different genres even if seeded with a massive 24 hour collaborative playlist my friends and I made.

Thus I suggest implementing a new "playlist generation" tool that allows users to select tags such as genre, mood, artist, decade, etc. that then uses the radio system to find related music with an emphasis on discovery over the same old songs, perhaps add a repeatability limit. 

Here's a rough framework:

• Create a playlist and name it
  • Bring the user to an interface with different categorical bins and allow them to add playlist "seeds" (genre, mood, decade, artist, etc.)
  • After this the radio system takes this information and produces the initial playlist
  • As the user listens and provides feedback the radio system doesn't endlessly play music, instead at an interval chosen by the user the playlist updates and combines the initial seeding with the feedback to produce more music (essentially a customizable discover weekly)
  • Users can then share these with friends and follow other user playlists

Updated on 2020-05-14

Hey @I_Am_Coopa,

Thanks for getting back to us with those steps.

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new idea. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

In the meantime, make sure to include those steps in the original post so that users can get a better idea of how this would work in practice.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Comments
Gig Goer

This makes sense, I am all for it

Status changed to: Need more information

Updated on 2020-05-12

Hey @I_Am_Coopa,

Thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange!

We'll just need a bit more info to understand your idea in order to give it the right status.

Do you mind giving us an idea of how these playlists would be generated exactly? It would help if you could list the hypothetical steps to achieve what you're after.

In the meantime, we found an existing idea which suggests something similar. Perhaps you could use it as a reference point to illustrate how your idea differs from a similar one which has already been suggested?

Thanks - keep us posted!

Casual Listener

Here's a rough framework:

• Create a playlist and name it
  • Bring the user to an interface with different categorical bins and allow them to add playlist "seeds" (genre, mood, decade, artist, etc.)
  • After this the radio system takes this information and produces the initial playlist
  • As the user listens and provides feedback the radio system doesn't endlessly play music, instead at an interval chosen by the user the playlist updates and combines the initial seeding with the feedback to produce more music (essentially a customizable discover weekly)
  • Users can then share these with friends and follow other user playlists

Visitor

Can you guys bring back the clear my recently played on iPhone and add it to Xbox this would be really useful and we should be able to clear out recently played from any device and not have to do it just from one device fix this 

Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-05-14

Hey @I_Am_Coopa,

Thanks for getting back to us with those steps.

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new idea. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

In the meantime, make sure to include those steps in the original post so that users can get a better idea of how this would work in practice.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!