Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
bobbyt967

Love Spotify!....But this has been an issue for quite a while,  Today I ran across an example that I have to write about.  I went to a playlist innocently titled "Songs to Sing in the Car" The first song was This Summer by Maroon 5......yes....I really want the whole family in the car singing "this summer's gonna hurt like a Mother**bleep**er"........ this shouldn't be too hard Spotify....all the other services seem to be able to do it.  Please give us an option to filter the explicit content!

hk_wombat

First post was in 2012 and this post has 3400+ kudos.... seriously is it that hard?

n8bro

I have decided to stop using this service until this is resolved. I hope I hear that Spotify has enabled this feature so I can come back. Good by for now....

waltjenkins

Good service.  I was planning to upgrade to premium but I was just in the car with my kids and the f-bombs started hitting.  (I don't usually listen to pop, but they wanted to...)  Not exactly friendly to those with families....  please add the feature.  

naturewall

Please add this feature!  I got super embarassed when I was playing music at a work function retirement party and an explicit rap song came on "bad bitches, I don't a f#$k about them" kept blasting over and over.  It was funny to me and some others, but definately not others.  

It came out in conversation that Pandora offers an explicit language filter and that Spotify doesn't.  May have lost many potential custiomers, because they would not want their family to be subjected to the possibility of explicit music playing on an unattended shuffle.

Good business practice is to add features requested by customers, if the possiblity exsists to do so.  Especially, if potentail customers are not signing up and exsisting customers may leave because of the lack of this simple feature.

This needs to happen, and as another user mentioned, as Explicit songs are all tagged as such, it seems as though it couldn't be too difficult to make a function for it? I love listening to my Spotify Discover playlists at work but there are ususal 3-4 songs that are really inappropriate for work and it seems the only way to avoid them is to queue all of the songs in the playlist and then remove the explicit ones from the queue... surely there is an easier way! 

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it
Updated: 2015-11-17

Hey everyone, Spotify Staff here again. We want to let you all know that we are continuing to keep an eye on this idea as it grows in the Idea Exchange. We don't have an update for you at the moment, this idea has the 'Good Idea' status. If we have any news around this feature we'll post here so you're the first to know. Thanks!

Klang01
Are you actually joking. How much more support does it need !!!
someotherguy
Bull**bleep**e
HHLuca
Hey hey, thanks for the update, but honestly this thread isn't very representative of my idea to un-sensor the music... at my core I believe musical censorship is a vile abomination of artistic expression and it really hurts to see so many people in favor of explicitly banning explicit content instead of allowing the user to choose. If you are associated with the project, I'd appreciate a more moderate approach which involves allowing users to have the ability to NOT have censored garbage in their playlists. Nothing irritates me more than hearing a track skip or have a random sound effect thrown over the top of the word while I'm trying to sing along, but I understand people's desire to remove that language from their children's access (however I still feel it's user error/hypocrisy since the rest of the song is likely no better than the single word they removed....). Is it possible at all to incorporate a slider (toggle? button? check boxes? sliders are just slick and already fit in with Spotify's GUI) which has both extremes on either end and a median in the middle? That is to say, the slider would make it so I never have to accidentally add a censored track when the uncensored one is available (Take "hot dog" by Limp Bizkit, the song makes no sense censored especially because it's a protest against censorship and yet only a censored track is available so, although it shouldn't be censored, it's understandable that Spotify can't use the other track) or, on the other end, it would make it so no uncensored music will show up for the hypocritical masses. I just feel that this community doesn't represent me and anyone else who sees it my way and I'll probably unsubscribe if the explicit filter contributes to my inability to listen to the tracks the way the artist intended them before a recording studio told them they couldn't say "**bleep**" 46 times in a song...