Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
daubuchon

Come on Spotify do the right thing.  Great website and service BUT help me protect my children from some pretty harsh lyrics.  If you have a family you would understand.  Thank you.

Odyssey101

I wanted to Vote for the "explicit" button but couldnt

Kev_thomas

Hi there,

seriously considering moving back back to Apple Music as they can give us parental controls.

This really shouldn't be rocket science for the developers. Music should have rating ib their metadata, surely it's just a case of implementing a rating filter?

Cheers

Kev

michaeldavidber

I work in a professional office.  We stream music in our waiting room.  As this is a public setting we cannot include explicit content in the music we play.  Functionality to filter out explicit content would be very helpful (in fact, it seems like such an important function, I don't understand why it has not yet been implemented).  

cmackellar14

I really need this feature, I'm premium with spotify but if this feature doesn't happen reasonably soon I'm going to need to move to pandora.

johncats

"No explicit tracks

Our music team makes sure you can only play music that's safe for work or around the kids."  

This is a feauture cut from Spotify business. In all fairness to Spotify, they are advising anyone that manages to investigate that the premiere family plan, by omission of this feature, is NOT safe for work or around the kids. 

mvowles311

I can't believe that after years of community calls to action Spotify continues to ignore their customers. Don't just vote by cancelling your subscription, encourage anyone you know to do the same. Why should we pay for a service that isn't interested in serving?

jacobsato
Yes. I think you are now getting the hang of it. I moved to Google Play. More stations, cheaper, better quality, everything, plus I don't have to listen to offensive language. It is the policy of Spotify to force you to listen to words you don't want to hear. It's not a technical issue.
meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it
Updated: 2016-11-18

Hello everyone, Spotify Staff here again. We wanted to let you all know we still think this is a good idea. We don't have any specific updates for you on this but we hear your feedback that you are interested in filtering explicit content. If we any information to share on this feature request I will post here first. Thanks folks!

Bmozisek
**bleep**.... Sure. Like s.h.i.t.i.f.y. will do anything. Don't get your hopes
up