Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
rickholliday

Love Spotify. Hate explicity songs. If I can't filter out explicit lyrics it will significantly decrease the amount of time I can listen to music on Spotify.... and advertisements.

THEM

Yeah what the **bleep**!  Why can't I remove the lyrics with explicit lyrics!?!?! This **bleep** should be so **bleep**ing easy to implement.  Spotify even links the **bleep**ing non-explicit version to the explicit versions..... so this **bleep** should be so easy to implement!

(I'm sure my comment will be flagged/banned etc. in the "community" section of spotify. BUT how about in the ACTUAL product!?!?!)

PS See I can't even **bleep**ing post curses to the **bleep**ing community site... why can't this be in the ACTUAL **bleep**ING PRODUCT.

I think that bleeping every two words is very annoying.

mee3233

Completely agree.  30-day free trial is almost up, will be canceling before I pay a penny.  It's just not worth it for me and not going to pay for it if avoiding explicit lyrics is not even an option. 

CharandLeon

Personally, I only want to be able to hear the radio versions.

And to be honest, the radio edits are usually better (ie. mumford and sons)

flaxton

Why can't I find/choose non-explicit tracks when I want? E.g. I like Holocene by Bon Iver, but not the F bomb. iTunes has explicit/clean versions clearly marked. I want both versions, and want them marked as such so I can choose.

MDLJr

Absoluteyly agree, some of us care about what our children are exposed too in music, there is a reason that artists and labels put out "clean" versions.....catch up Spotify...... this ones a no brainer

Constantleighon
I agree. Right now on my iPad spotify app. In the recommended section is a album cover that is of a women's crotch and boobs . I don't now why or how it got there. It's for a band named the virgins . I have never heard of them. I really would like to remove this image or block it or filter it out . Until its removed my children and husband can't use the app.
sptolboe

Yes!  Please allow us to weed out the Explicit junk!!!  I don't want to be hearing that kind of stuff while listening to radio or top tracks/albums.  Please please please help by letting us not have to listen to it!!!

MarkDupp

Yes to choices on potty language.  I support the option to disable explicit lyrics; however I  prefer to ONLY listen to music as it was intended by the artist, and think that if a function is created it should allow exclusively explicit content as well.