Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
TM

Absalutely needs to happen!  Today I'm listening to classical music in my office and some rapper ad comes on with the f-bomb.  This is what makes me consider not using Spotify. Please fix soon!

hmonglish

Totally agree with others that have commented.  I was shocked by the explicit lyrics in the advertisement I heard recently.  It would be nice to have some way to turn this off and to not see or hear explicit songs.  Thanks!

gabyh

We definitely need this option ASAP! I am afraid to use Spotiry at work because of this!! 

alex678

Definetly support this!

Just got an earful for 212 by Azealia Banks. Ridiculous.

jefmwols

I really need to be able to keep Explicit music from playing.  I'm considering switching over to Pandora simpley because they have this feature.  

clar1ty

I'm tired of scrolling past an artists whole album to get to the original version of a song. You could even make it an option that you have to turn on in preferences.

LongSlide

Love Spotify and it's a GREAT way to find new music in a genre you like and even to find music you like of any genre.  Since it is such a great way to listen to and explore music, could there be a way to build parental controls or the like on an account or attach users to a "parent" account for management?  I think it would be a great way for my children to find and explore music but right now, there's no way to stop "explicit" material or even genres (I'd not limit genres myself but could see how someone might want to) to be streamed on an account.

agarofal

I agree 100%!!

laura-g

It's not even a matter of whether or not it should be added. It is a must.

lancemadigan
I like to listen at work, and have to listen to my own library (not radio, not other's libraries) because I never know what might come up. Should be an easy fix (they are already marked, which seems to me to be the hardest part)