Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
MarkDupp

Yes to choices on potty language.  I support the option to disable explicit lyrics; however I  prefer to ONLY listen to music as it was intended by the artist, and think that if a function is created it should allow exclusively explicit content as well.

MarkDupp

Yes to choices on potty language.  I support the option to disable explicit lyrics; however I  prefer to ONLY listen to music as it was intended by the artist, and think that if a function is created it should allow exclusively explicit content as well.

acr29z

Absolutely, needed

or a way to 'block' specific songs or artist

some of the lyrics are unbelievable

psgrove

I would also like this as my 4 year old can already use the iphone and turn on Sono's and who knows what she might select from Spotify?

WillDWhite

Adding my name to the list. I use Spotify at work and would prefer to turn off explicit content while I'm here.

LowRider2112

Not being able to filter explicit songs is an absolute show stopper for my family.

You do not have to implement some fancy Parental Controls organization, just make an account-specific setting to "allow explicit lyrics".  Like others have said, the application has the data, just not the preference.  It's a no-brainer and right thing to do (and will make my daughter very happy!).

FerventPower

Why in the world does this feature not exist already? Spotify is pretty good about telling you a track is explicit if you are in an album, so how hard could it possibly be to block them?

jsh

I also have found the barely clad / nude women on album covers to be offensive and a reason for me to avoid using Spotify. I would very much appreciate an option to filter those images out.

kevsagers11

For me, the radio part of the app is useless unless there is a way to filter content that would be filtered over the actual radio. Pandora and other radio apps do this. Spotify definitely should as well.

Thanks!

jmagla
As a parent I am amazed that there is no filter to prevent eplicit lyrics being played on an account, My son loves music, but as he is only 9 I do not want him to listen to offensive language, please add a filter, surely its not difficult!!!