Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Light Mode option

Hi,

The new white text on black design physically hurts my eyes and gives very bad ghosting (i.e. persistent image like those in optical illusions that make you stare at particular color combinations and then look away). I know I'm not the only one with this issue because I've researched it in the past. Without an option to switch back to the old design (White background/black text), I'll need to delete my Spotify account and find another service. Please add an option to switch between the two (because I know many prefer black backgrounds). Myself and a host of others, however, cannot use these color combinations. Please let me know if there is a work-around; it would be much appreciated. It's basically unusable to me in it's current state.

~V

Updated on 2023-03-18

Hey folks,

This idea has been moved to a wrong place in the forum but is now back in its place.

We're keeping the status of Not Right Now as we still don't have any immediate plans to implement this, however, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status if we have any news to share.

Thanks!

Comments
cliffbuchkoski5

That is a shame. The dark view hurts ones vision and to my opinion can be a deal breaker. You need to put this on a high priority being it can physically harm us by Spotify pushing the dark theme and as a paying customer should be considered.

Make it a priority.

Outside this concern I'm enjoying your service.

tochkinade

Using an app with dark mode only is hard on eyes. This is the major issue I dislike in Spotify.

Please make an automatic light mode available

293kecm-m_02k

Being a major application in a lot of lifes + impacting every single user = high prio ticket.

C'mon guys, it is only a few color codes... Sure, it increases testing effort... but c'mon...

squint

Spotify was one of the first apps to have a dark interface.

And now one of the last to have a light option.

stygianmessiah

I posted about this a few months back also. Please please get this feature to the apps! I’m a premium user for over a decade and it’s surprising to see almost nothing done to give more UI options to the users. A light mode or themes or skins would be great as the current white on black really hurts the eyes!

Ab844

Just want to add my support to this suggestion. It's sad to see the dismissal of an idea that is fundamentally for accessibility and can really help people with visual impairments. It seems that most other apps offer something like this, or at least an accessibility mode, so very disappointed that Spotify hasn't. 

remyrudd

@Spotify, please reference my UI Light Mode Mockup below

@everyone, perhaps like/share my LinkedIn post illustrating that there are many people outside of this community who are very interested in this feature! 🤓

Spotify UI Lightmode Mockup - Remy Rudd.png

nadialesa

I've been a user for over 6 years and I've hated the black theme all these years. I can't believe they still won't give us options to change  the theme color.

juliettesabrina

Spotify please include an option to change the background colour (theme) of the Spotify desktop and phone application. I.e. User can switch from a white (with black texts) background or a black (with white text) background. It would also enable a clear accessibility with reading the screen and navigating Spotify. I have been using Spotify for years and this is the only downside.

quilfar

They’re not going to add the option. They’ve been hearing complaints and requests on this for years. They don’t care to listen to their customers. They would only bother to pay attention if everyone complaining about this unsubscribes. There are several other large streaming platforms to use.