Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Light Mode option

Hi,

The new white text on black design physically hurts my eyes and gives very bad ghosting (i.e. persistent image like those in optical illusions that make you stare at particular color combinations and then look away). I know I'm not the only one with this issue because I've researched it in the past. Without an option to switch back to the old design (White background/black text), I'll need to delete my Spotify account and find another service. Please add an option to switch between the two (because I know many prefer black backgrounds). Myself and a host of others, however, cannot use these color combinations. Please let me know if there is a work-around; it would be much appreciated. It's basically unusable to me in it's current state.

~V

Updated on 2023-03-18

Hey folks,

This idea has been moved to a wrong place in the forum but is now back in its place.

We're keeping the status of Not Right Now as we still don't have any immediate plans to implement this, however, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status if we have any news to share.

Thanks!

Comments
sharkycharming

Without actually having the old version to directly compare it, I can't say for sure what it is I liked better about the old one, but the new one actually gives me a headache and eye strain. I am sure I'll get used to it, but if there were an option to go back to the old interface, I definitely would. 

YES PLEASE! I want this so badly as the new theme is really hard to see with my eyes!

futuredays

Please, give us the option of a different UI on both the desktop and mobile client.

Like other folks here, white text on black hurts my eyes. I will most likely cancel my subscription if there's no other option. 

sershe

New UI is horrendous, large font is inefficient and color hurts my eyes. I also used stars extensively to structure my playlists (I usually create a very large one and then "filter" using stars and track removal) and now all of it is gone.

As a paying customer I feel I should have some recourse.

I'm not asking for much, just for ability to disable automatic upgrades so I can choose when I update, like in most products (for reference I don't upgrade e.g. Firefox before reading a changelist). And for this partiuclar instance I should be able to downgrade since this ability was not provided.

Inter

If the lay-out stays like this, I will totally unsubscribe, I hate this

ramkatt

Black color is not for me! 

Expend album art instead! 

Simplify everything extend anything

Ultrasonepro900

I usually like darker themes but with this tiny font on a small screen, huge spaces between songs and just dead areas it doesn´t exactly feel so great.

Would be pretty easy to add a toggle setting White/Grey/Black or if that is to hard, why not just a Night/Day theme switch? Pretty basic if you ask me and look at tons of other applications.

On top of that this update STILL LACKING TOUCH SUPPORT on desktop, when you try scroll through a couple of hundred playlists or songs in an album it sure sucks.

Still no Chromecast support is probably THE most glaring missing feature, hard to understand why it isn´t implemented yet on ALL platforms.

Every single Spotify user would benefit from Chromecast support, lets iOS users do something else with their phone since airplay lockup the phone/tablet, lets android users stream and windows too. 

So for people that got issues with this latest update please add kudos here Chromecast Support now! 

Blitzcraig

I'll be unsubscribing as well if we aren't given a lighter theme with more contrast. I can't look at the screen for more than a minute without my eyes going all crossed.

Spotify should fire whatever designer thought that contrast is optional and that white text on a black background is a good idea.

ullan

Yes, I too find the black background tiresome. I guess many people of age and also younger have the same trouble.

Hope for a change soon. Free choice of background and text colors would be great as a standard, at least to be able to chose light color for background and dark text that gives a good contrast and good readability.

Ullan

johnmilleker

I've never been here, Spotify has never had an issue or been an issue.. Until this theme change. It's extremely hard to see, abusive to my eyes and whoever decided on the spacing of the nuclear white letters on a black/darkdarkdarkgrey UI needs to have their vision checked.

I hate to be that guy, but I find it painful to use and won't be renewing my subscription if we can't get a light theme option. It looks like a night mode or high contrast mode gone awry.