Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Light Mode option

Hi,

The new white text on black design physically hurts my eyes and gives very bad ghosting (i.e. persistent image like those in optical illusions that make you stare at particular color combinations and then look away). I know I'm not the only one with this issue because I've researched it in the past. Without an option to switch back to the old design (White background/black text), I'll need to delete my Spotify account and find another service. Please add an option to switch between the two (because I know many prefer black backgrounds). Myself and a host of others, however, cannot use these color combinations. Please let me know if there is a work-around; it would be much appreciated. It's basically unusable to me in it's current state.

~V

Updated on 2023-03-18

Hey folks,

This idea has been moved to a wrong place in the forum but is now back in its place.

We're keeping the status of Not Right Now as we still don't have any immediate plans to implement this, however, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status if we have any news to share.

Thanks!

Comments
kapearson

This is a serious usability issue which for many, myself included, means we cannot use the desktop software for any period of time. 

I'm genuinely astonished Spotify don't think usability for those with sight-related health issues is worthy of immediate attention. Why? It's not a question of style or personal preference - this decision adversely affects hundreds of thousands of users.

If those making the decisions could experience what I and many others have to tolerate using the dark theme, they'd change it in a heartbeat.

MarkWilliams123

The status of this "New Idea" is marked as "Not right now". I have a feeling that no-one from Spotify (or at least no-one with any sense (if indeed such a person exists at all Spotify) takes so much as a cursory glance at these posts until they achieve a certain number of votes. It's just idiotic.

brunofin12

WORKAROUND

Many of you won't like it, but you can use a combination of the Web player with the Stylus addon and a chrome "borderless app" shortcut to create your own spotify theme, be it dark, red, light, solarized.

The downside is that you'd be using the web app which isn't great but with enough addons such as media buttons integration you can probably make it work.

Get the Stylus theme:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/stylus/clngdbkpkpeebahjckkjfobafhncgmne?hl=en

Navigate to https://open.spotify.com/

Create the shortcut: https://support.google.com/chrome_webstore/answer/3060053?hl=en

Use the Stylus addon to create your won styling. If you're a web developer this should be something you can do.

I am not sure how Stylus works but I imagine they might have some sort of share/marketplace mechanism with ready to use themes. If not, let's share our themes here or create a GitHub organization with different themes to use with Spotify web player.

And this is our middle finger message to Spotify.

EDIT: It's a work in progress guys but not hard at all. I will keep you posted:

brunofin12_0-1595409301756.png

EDIT:

I created a GitHub organization to hold multiple themes. I added a bright theme repository. It's a work in progress but that way anyone can cooperate by sending pull requests. I will add instructions later. Need to get back to work 🙂

https://github.com/spotify-themes/white-theme.web-player/

Artaleas

Well, it would just be fun to see more overall themes. Not because the theme spotify has right now is bad or anything. It is just because it gets boring seeing the same all the time and switching it up is fun! Make it artsy, just like a normal wallpaper! For example, give it a option that people can set a wallpaper to their liking as a background, and that the color theme of spotify changes with it. Just examples nothing more hahaha. I wouldnt know how to make work of that but it sounds cute. 

occurred

I'll also now, after years, cancel my account and will head over to Apple Music!

Maybe sometimes I'll still listen to you Spotify, but only because it is free in my Tesla!

No words about how you treat your paying customers!

brunofin12

While working on my bright theme solution I found that something like this already exists and is very mature.

You guys can check it out here. It works with the desktop client not the web client like my solution.

It supports multiple themes, it's really cool:

https://github.com/khanhas/spicetify-cli

oldgiraffe

That's great worked out of the box for me.

VenNigell

I am one of zillions of potential users looking to switch from the dying Google Music. There is no way I am paying for your discriminatory app, well done, Spotify. For six - SIX - years people are telling you that this color scheme is impossible for people with sight impairements and you're just ignoring us. It's just unbelievable for 2020.

I've got a migraine after just 15 minutes browsing in the app to see if you have my favorites. You do - but I am physically not able to use your app. How difficult it is to change a color scheme that it takes 6 years just "thinking about it"?

oldgiraffe
Using the default installation of https://github.com/khanhas/spicetify-cli
worked for me.
VenNigell

There is nothing for Android. 70% of time I'm listening from mobile.

Anyways, when I am paying for something (as opposed to downloading for free and using any player of my choice with bells, whistles and gazillion settings options), I am paying for comfort. For comfort of having everything in one click away, anywhere I want, - and NOT jumping technical hoops to not have a blasted headache. Why should I pay for the app which requires me to waste hours to find 3rd party solutions and install various things from unverified sources just to be able to use it? It's not like there are no other alternatives.

Spotify has the best library, at least regarding things I personally like. So it's a pity they are so inconsiderate towards people who are not able to read light-on-dark text.