Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Light Mode option

Hi,

The new white text on black design physically hurts my eyes and gives very bad ghosting (i.e. persistent image like those in optical illusions that make you stare at particular color combinations and then look away). I know I'm not the only one with this issue because I've researched it in the past. Without an option to switch back to the old design (White background/black text), I'll need to delete my Spotify account and find another service. Please add an option to switch between the two (because I know many prefer black backgrounds). Myself and a host of others, however, cannot use these color combinations. Please let me know if there is a work-around; it would be much appreciated. It's basically unusable to me in it's current state.

~V

Updated on 2023-03-18

Hey folks,

This idea has been moved to a wrong place in the forum but is now back in its place.

We're keeping the status of Not Right Now as we still don't have any immediate plans to implement this, however, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status if we have any news to share.

Thanks!

Comments
alirezanasibi

@all premium users: here is a list showing why Spotify doesn't care what you need or ask....:

1- They deleted ALL SONGS list in spotify and if you ask them, they reply all songs are located in "Liked Songs" which is stupid! What if I didn't add "like" to my songs?

2- as of this topic since 2014!! they haven't implemented light theme despite 45 pages of user's requests....

3- I used to use Songshift in my iOS to sync my songs between Apple Music and spotify and guess what...the latest update you can't sync OUT of spotify to Apple music! You can only sync IN apple music to spotify....

All of above makes me think Spotify company policy isn't focused on users' requests! It's based on what THEY think it's correct... Time to shift to another music client guys....

Yeah, I'm done with spotify. They just never cater to what the consumer wants. All it seems they are really interested in is algorithms and profits from those algorithms. Not user satisfaction and upkeep. Needless to say 3 years now I think since I posted a request aka complaint about the lack of animated minimize and restore functions in Windows. It's just terrible. And recently, studies have shown white text on black is horrible for people with astigmatisms in their eyes, which is something I personally suffer, and can vouch for. Text is sharper and thus causes less strain on the eyes when it's black text on a white.  For anyone who wants to read about it: Dark Mode Causes More Accessibility Issues Than It Solves  Look up white text on black is bad for astigmatisms and you'll get a multitude of results posted within the last 6 months. Pandemic or not, rewriting and writing new code can easily be done on any computer at any location. Get to it or lose it.

stygianmessiah

Interesting! I also suffer from mild astigmatism. Did not know that that’s what causes the crazy strain I feel with white text on black backgrounds. Never really understood why Dark Mode was so popular when it hurt my eyes so much. Now I understand. Thanks for pointing this out!

alirezanasibi

I'm also giving up Spotify after this month paid subscription is over. Apple Music is a much more user friendly to be used. At least there are ears there listening to us and respect it....

occurred

Till, maybe never, Spotify will release a light theme I'm going with this:

https://github.com/khanhas/spicetify-cli

Looks really very cool on my Mac:

Screenshot 2020-10-22 at 10.47.43.png

stygianmessiah

Oh wow! This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing occurred!

tatjewski

I simply couldn't bear the dark mode, switched to deezer 😕

ticklepopper

Joined Spotify for all of 30 minutes. Brand new customer in and out the door because of this. The fact this goes back to 2014 tells everyone the real answer.

lewis144
I hope you haven't paid for Spotify, or if you have, you can refund it. It isn't worth a penny with issues like this going on for 6 years.
ticklepopper

Thankfully used the trial. Apple Music is terrible too with navigation and glitching. Just one company needs to capitalize on this and take it home. Deezer trial now active.