Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Light Mode option

Hi,

The new white text on black design physically hurts my eyes and gives very bad ghosting (i.e. persistent image like those in optical illusions that make you stare at particular color combinations and then look away). I know I'm not the only one with this issue because I've researched it in the past. Without an option to switch back to the old design (White background/black text), I'll need to delete my Spotify account and find another service. Please add an option to switch between the two (because I know many prefer black backgrounds). Myself and a host of others, however, cannot use these color combinations. Please let me know if there is a work-around; it would be much appreciated. It's basically unusable to me in it's current state.

~V

Updated on 2023-03-18

Hey folks,

This idea has been moved to a wrong place in the forum but is now back in its place.

We're keeping the status of Not Right Now as we still don't have any immediate plans to implement this, however, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status if we have any news to share.

Thanks!

Comments
wallofchaos

cant believe this issue has been an issue this long. lame.

Nevibya

It's so fantastic that Spotify demands users to vote on absolutely any feedback and when users actually get together and vote about an issue we all need, Spotify will just tell us "Nope, we don't care about that!".

Why do we even bother? Spotify is one of the most user unfriendly companies currently out there. 

Sjonbeton

It's impossible to use the Spotify desktop outside on a laptop in daylight.
Small gray text on a dark background for everything, always, everywhere is a really shortsighted ux choice.
Please add an option to make the app adhere to the OS light/dark theme settings. 

ansujay

Moving away from Spotify to Apple Music because of the lack of light theme.

That it should take more than 7 years for a basic and essential thing (and not yet started either!) doesn't give me much confidence in Spotify as a company.

lewis144
I've never had the confidence which is why I've always used cracked software which removes the ads and never paid a penny for this **bleep**
wallofchaos
Thanks for your contribution. 🙄🖕
ougee

That's all, I'm done with Spotify. I have been returning here every 6 months during the last 5 years in hope to get a news that the light interface will be done soon. It's enough now, they don't care about their clients. I'm going to move to Apple Music.

catjeffery

Just updated Spotify and disappointed yet again with the lack of a light option, so I decided to contribute to this long thread. Thanks to all those who have previously posted and voted on this.

Many people have probably said this, but I'll say it again: this is a basic accessibility problem and it's ridiculous that it's still on hold when nearly all other apps have this toggle option. Experiencing eyesight problems, migraines, and not being able to read things properly when reading on a black background is quite a common problem. Not only are there people who have very serious eye conditions for whom this is hard or even impossible, but even a relatively small astigmatism in one eye (extremely common) can make this more difficult. The point is that the lack of a toggle option is probably affecting quite a large number of Spotify users, from those with mild astigmatism to those with more serious conditions. Not including this option is akin to creating a building without wheelchair access or producing a video without subtitles. It's not just a "preference" that users have (although some users might indeed just prefer it). More importantly, it's an accessibility need, and by refusing to implement something that has become the norm across thousands of other apps, Spotify is perpetuating a culture where ableism is simply tolerated in the digital sphere.

I would invite Spotify to reply to this issue not simply with a "we're not doing it right now" but instead with an explanation of why they feel this type of ableism is acceptable on their platform. If they believe it's worth it, I would love to hear that reasoning. Is this impossible to implement from a technical perspective? Does the company not value its customers who have conditions that make this a problem? Any reasoning at all would be much appreciated. 

Again, I appreciate all the effort Spotify users have put into advocating for this option, and I still hold onto hope that this changes in the future.

lewis144
"Thanks for your contribution."
And thanks for being a rude moron. Maybe you should f off and join the **bleep** that work for Spotify, and ignore all of us that contribute to this thread demanding an overdue basic feature? Stick that middle finger where the sun definitely doesn't shine.
bluej352

Hey Spotify. You've got plenty dough. You can afford to give us Light Theme. We want it now.

Let's upvote this thread guys, and get this done!

I speak for many when I say the Dark Theme hurts the eyes. In fact the majority of apps are in Light Theme because the majority of users prefer Light Theme. I acknowledge that it's different users, different preferences. Hey let's keep the Dark Theme around, but give us the option to toggle the app, so we who prefer Light Theme (i.e. the majority) have the option to switch. I'm not a customer of Spotify yet, cause my eyes can't deal with the Dark Theme.