Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Light Mode option

Hi,

The new white text on black design physically hurts my eyes and gives very bad ghosting (i.e. persistent image like those in optical illusions that make you stare at particular color combinations and then look away). I know I'm not the only one with this issue because I've researched it in the past. Without an option to switch back to the old design (White background/black text), I'll need to delete my Spotify account and find another service. Please add an option to switch between the two (because I know many prefer black backgrounds). Myself and a host of others, however, cannot use these color combinations. Please let me know if there is a work-around; it would be much appreciated. It's basically unusable to me in it's current state.

~V

Updated on 2023-03-18

Hey folks,

This idea has been moved to a wrong place in the forum but is now back in its place.

We're keeping the status of Not Right Now as we still don't have any immediate plans to implement this, however, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status if we have any news to share.

Thanks!

Comments
aeelements

I use Spotify on my Mac nearly every day at work.  It's been quite good, with a smart and user-friendly interface.  Version 9.8 installs and now I'm using a very different application.  What the!  Change is good sometimes.  Not in this case.  High contrast white on blacks is no good on the eyes.  Extra-large fonts?  Now less can been on a given page.  I see what is trying to be done with the new "Your Music" section, and that seems fun.  But, I just can't see past the glaring interface.  Also, an artist's list of albums would display all albums, scrollable/playable.  Unless I'm missing a toggle switch it appears these albums now only display as album covers that a user can then click on an go into?  If that's the case, what a loss of usability!  Good thing I backed up a copy of 9.7 on another drive.  Sigh.

powerblock

I agree with this idea.  I have been using Spotify for almost 3 years now and have not had a single problem, but this recent change is just unpleasant.  Ignoring the problems of the insane spacing and still using rounded corners, the dark colors are just terrible.

ikt123
To those complaining about the look and the padding please take it to another thread or suggestion. This thread should be for people who find that it physically HURTS to look at it. I've never had this experience with any other application and I use computers for 15 hours a day every day. I think the new design looks amazing, it just hurts to use it.
pym

As others mentioned, I've never had any problems with Spotify during the past 3-4 years. This new theme is really great, fonts, design and everything is fine.

BUT I cannot use it for more than a minute! I can't see properly and start getting headache.

Please Please think about people's health issue! This is a serious matter not a suggestion or idea or an option which someone likes or not! I just can't see and can't use the app anymore!

Edit: I downloaded the old version and forced auto update off as a temporary solution. I really can't use the new dark theme. 

purplenixy

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Drop-the-ableism-in-your-quot-design-philosophy-quot-a...

I'm going to throw this here, because I found this only after I made it but I edited a screencapt to show how I see the new colouring. 

I guess the only good thing is how the massive spaces between everything makes it possible for me to distinguish anyting apart at all! 

ArtyM

Sorry, but I really dislike the new black bacground too - I work in a very light creative environment and, apart from being hard to read, the new colours look really awful too. Fine for a nightclub or evenings perhaps. I know it's hard to please everyone but if there was an option to revert back to the old format I'd take it.

chartz

Just to add to my original posting here, this iOS app black background with white text is truly hurting my eyes and causing focussing difficulties.  I'm not a youngster by any means, and I do often feel that these apps are designed by youngsters with perfect eyesight without any thought for those of us with eyesight difficulties.  Please, this is a genuine heartfelt plea, give us back the option of a proper white or light grey background with black typeface.  This is standard everywhere, is easy to read, and doesn't cause eyesight problems.  It's a simple matter to add an option and thereby please everyone.  I truly am going to have to cancel my Premium membership and defect to something like Deezer if this problem isn't solved quickly.  I use an iOS app on my iPhone all the time when out and about, it's what I have Spotify for, playing music in the car .... but I truly cannot carry on like this.  It is a health and safety issue as far as I am concerned, and I am not joking.  It is not a case of "getting used to it", it is a genuine problem.  There is a reason all books have white paper with black text - it's easy and pleasant to read!

Thank you for hearing my plea.

Edit: I too am reinstalling Spotify 0.9.4.ipa from my Time Machine backup to revert to a proper white background with dark text on iOS.  But how long this will work for is anyone's guess.  A permanent solution has to be found. 

ksquare

I agree with the issues about the font size, but not so much the color scheme. I have a sub 1080p (which was standard when I started using spotify) and spotify now takes up waaaay to much space due to the font size and double spacing combo. There needs to be a condensed version, designed for those without a touchscreens or 1080p+  resolutions.   I never really liked the old color scheme, but the scale of text was more efficient.

doolan

The new upgrade is very slow for me, with drop outs every ten seconds. Search results can take a minute or more. My internet is otherwise very fast.

I don't like the black background.

larsahl

Text font are blurred for me also on my laptop. And the spotify taskbar icon is low res displayed in windows 8.