Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Other] Exact release date across all platforms

Spotify has exact release date information for albums - it can be viewed in the mobile app (at least under iOS, v8.5.41).

Using the official desktop app, however (macOS, v1.1.24.91.g4ca6d5eb) you only get the year.

Why the disparity? I would have thought that, if anything, the desktop app would contain more granular information, while the mobile app would contain more of a summary.

Year is not very granular at all - artists can do a lot in a year, and fans sometimes like to know at least the month they released something, if not also the day.

Thank you for reading

Updated on 2021-07-07

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available. All you need to do is hover over the song's release year: this will show you the full song's release date 🙂

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community!

Comments
sammarcus

I am also curious why this has dragged on for years. The data already exists. Why show it on a platform with a SMALLER screen and hide it on a platform with a larger screen?

rlb89408

Under artist page, their lastest released just shows year now instead of the date the track or album was released. Please change this back to show the date of release.

EDIT 1: Desktop has release date under recent released. (picture below)

20160908_104228.png
Capture.PNG
tyskertøs

Spotify is a great function, but it's missing some things: I'd like easier excess to the albums release year. And the "top recommendations" should be on a list so you don't have to individually click on the next artist after 1 (!) song. Another thing is that I would like a "thumbs up/down" / delete button on discover weekly. Some of the songs that show up are not my taste at all and it would be good for future reference to remove them.

maxartist23

very annoying. god knows why they've gotten rid of the day/month from the release date. not good at all...

Marco
Status changed to: Up for Votes
Updated: 2016-09-12

Marked as new idea and edited the title slightly to make it easier to find via search. 😉

maxartist23

apparently the precise release info is only there for the LATEST releases, not old ones...

ellenryan

Found this by searching because it's a must-have!! I make monthly playlists and having to Google the exact release dates to make sure it falls within the timeframe is mildly irritating. (Access on mobile would be ideal as well!)

Beltane575xx
Hi Spotify...I've been a Premium subscriber for nearly 2 years and I've always been appreciative of being able to access an album's release date & year info on top of the fact that one is not able to begin to experience reading actual album credits & details on the streaming platforms in comparison to a vinyl or CD listening experience...to already compensate for the lack of album art detail due to thumbnail sized limitations...having album credit release info should be even more of a priority to make up for other vinyl & CD varied details downsized for the fast paced..streaming consumption...just my 2 cents & from the grumblings ive noticed of other Spotify premium members...eliminating album release month/day info except for the year of release was a very un-called for..un-needed cut that hurts the overall listening experience...bring it back on behalfnof my grumblings and many others - Alex
Beltane575xx

Btw I forgot to make a very legitimate point & I'd really like to get your public feedback opinion on this topic: Shouldn't streaming services such as the best one still Spotify...be able to provide listeners who spend money on vinyl releases & CD's..the same listening experience as for those who pay for streaming access to album credits,release dates/month/year ..producer/studio credits just like album or CD liner notes....yes...there are many people who still like to read up on album facts...why does the streaming world not pay attention to album detail..history? Lets change this bull**bleep**

rlb89408

@Beltane575xx I like the idea of having the album details and the artwork implemented into spotify. I believe this would be an awesome idea and should create a thread about it on it's own (If there isn't one already). hopefully can get enough votes to be implemented. you have mine.