Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
Samppa3

It was perhaps 1 year ago or so..I added some alac-files from my computer and then they worked as local files played from Spotify, on both computer and cellphone apps. Im not sure that were the files native format and same as original but I suppose they were. I think I forgot about it as I had some problems adding the correct cover-art for each album, I tried some tips and hints mentioned here but still didn't manage to get them work correctly.

Sal1950

Thrilled to hear that lossless is on the way, I thought I'd be blind and deef before it happened.  LOL
A couple of comments, that have been touched on before.

We don't need no stinkin MQA, a con ripoff to give us lossy files and call it HiFi.

Please do look into offering Atmos and 3D immersive audio files.

Those of us into multich would appreciate it very much.

God Bless gentlemen.

Sal1950

hans-jürgen

Concerning playback of local FLAC and/or ALAC files in a *.m4a container I checked mine again yesterday, and plain FLAC files could not be played on my Windows 10 computer, but the *.m4a files with ALAC encoded audio within still could. Maybe putting FLAC encoded audio in a *.m4a file would also work, don't know.

Samppa3

Yep, my alac files were converted to *.m4a which worked fine.

hans-jürgen

These local *.m4a files can also be scrobbled to your Last.fm profile, by the way, but will only show in your recent tracks list after the next track has started, i.e. not while they are still playing without the "Scrobbling now" indicator. That should also work for *.m4a files with AAC encoded content. MP3Tag is able to edit the MPEG-4 container and the ID tags for it, I think.

Elena
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Updated on 2021-03-02

Hey folks, 

We're happy to say that we'll be setting this idea to ''Under Consideration'' since implementing it is in our current timeline.

Starting later this year, Premium subscribers in select markets will be able to upgrade their sound quality to Spotify HiFi and listen to their favorite songs the way artists intended. 

Take a look at our newsroom article here for more info.

Cheers!

Blueshound24

Elena 

Yours is maybe the second comment on this thread in 7 years. Why hasn't Spotify ever responded to the thousands of questions and posts here? That is atrocious CS and will not be rewarded with my money for streaming music.

Will wasapi/asio be supported for external DAC's?

Since spotify has never answered any questions on this thread I seriously doubt this will be answered either....

Good riddance Spotify...

jo9001

Hi Elena. When you say "it's under  consideration". What exactly does that mean?  I thought that the announcement from Spotify last week was 

that plans for lossless was going ahead?

So when you say "under consideration" you actually mean Spotify lossless is going to be available to certain people on a trail bases only with no definite decision to make lossless a permanent fixture to your Spotify customers?

Blueshound24

jo9001

• Spotify's history of not responding to this thread for 7 years tells me that you will not get any more responses from them so don't hold your breath waiting.
jo9001
  1. Blueshound, I haven't much hope in getting a reply from Elena, in fact I would say there was more chance of The Pope attending the next Slayer Concert than Elena ever replying. I just wish we Spotify would be honest with us all instead of leading us up the garden path and hoping we all are lost in the long undergrowth