Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
rastaman2000

The beginning of a new Market War? 🤔

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt82qn4SYRU 😎

Blueshound24

Bye, Bye Spotify!

"And they are giving it for no additional cost...

Also Amazon already reacted and is giving their Amazon Music HD for free to all of their subscribers.

So Spotify is not only to late to the party - they will likely be too expensive, if they don't add it for free too..."

Soundquality

Well Spotify has a huge feature that Apple does not :Spotify Connect .

You still have to stream from your phone on Apple . This can lead to interference , battery drain on phone , etc . 
Unless Apple pulls an Apple Connect !! 

Soundquality

It appears Apple is gonna  take a huge chunk out of Spotify’s subscriber base by beating them to the lossless punch bowl. 

Spotify just seems so inattentive to their customers . Won’t even provide a date (June) like Apple did. 

PaulMac

So Apple release a detailed statement that includes details on streaming quality, cost (nothing extra) and precise time frames.

Contrast that with Spotifys vague statement on availability in 'select markets' some time 'later this year'.

Looks like Spotifys recent focus on podcasts and their complete lack of interaction with customers regarding lossless might just be about to catch up with them. 

Soundquality

This is typical Spotify . My biggest problem is their lack of attention to customers and transparency. “ Sometime in 2021 in select markets “ says it all . 

AyEye

I hope they improve this and acctually add details of how 'Hi' the 'Fi' is. Adding Bit rate amd Sample Rate is essential. What does very high mean!? 

berenj

Amagine, now Amazon HD is free ; and Spotify is still saying under consideration.  Well let me tell you, the moment Apples lossless goes Live, Im Cancelling this subscription to spotify due to their ongoing approach to quality audio.

Billl

When I wanted to cancel Spotify because of SQ, I couldn't because my kids didn't want to move to Amazon.  They did, however, say that if Apple ever offered better quality, they might.  Given the rate at which Spotify are updating us on their so far completely intangible plan, I think there's a good chance we'll be gone before they get round to doing anything.  Still, I'm sure podcasts are what people really want so they won't miss us.