Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
PaulMac

Spotify have far more important things to be working on than keeping us lot informed about lossless. 

Like taking over currently freely available podcasts and then working out how to 'monetize' it. Or telling musicians that if they want a decent income then they need to work harder. Oh and most important of all buying a premiership football club.. 

Soundquality

And Apple’s not busy ? You sound like Spotify management which as I see it is failing . 

PaulMac

@soundquality

Not sure if your comment was directed at me but I wasnt being serious in my post above..

I totally agree with you in that Spotify management are failing!

Zorq

Of course Spotify is quiet. It's easier to disrupt than to change while steering a big ship. 

There are things they have been doing well (music selection, recommendations, Connect, web app, optimizing music quality for bandwidth) and bad (the miserable Android app, missing on lossless, missing on hi-res, API changes leaving older devices in the dust, handling offline, usage of your network bandwidth, not listening to user feedback etc).

Since the infrastructure has been mostly done, they've been making more profit and there is no excuse for staying on the laurels and just sweep in the money. Competition is getting tight and that will be good for us customers.

I don't want one provider to dominate, and I don't want Spotify fail, but I certainly want better service (and apps) for my money. Also, price will matter more and more, in the age of myriads of monthly payments based services. At the moment only the kids are keeping me paying for Spotify (though not for long any more), I have moved on to Qobuz (far better sound quality on good equipment) and watching the others, too. 

wbearden1237

Does anyone know of a good way to copy my Spotify playlists to Amazon or Apple?

Thanks in advance!

Zorq

For playlist transfers, after trying a few, and even paying for some that failed big time on matching accuracy, I have settled with soundiiz.com. The free tier allows transferring 200 songs at a time (in a playlist), but depending how regularly you synchronize playlists across platforms, it might be worth paying for it. Worked quite well across several platforms (not only from, but also to Spotify). If someone knows better solutions, I am interested, too.

wbearden1237
Great, thanks much. I'll give it a try.
Soundquality

Rumors are Apple will start up lossless next week. 

Soundquality

Spotify about to get smoked like a barbecued pig !

Apple has beaten them to the punch .