Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
domenico
Nonsense. As much as I want this and think it is just the right thing to do
because of many reasons that wouldn't need it and without they would remain
the biggeststreaming platform.

The yourth of today (and many grown-ups including music journalists) just
don't care and listen to their music on inferior hardware..

🤷‍♂️

Soundquality

Summer has one month left . Where is Spotify HD. It appears Apple has foiled their best laid plans 

Soundquality

Billie Eilish's new album is out on Dolby Atmos and lossless on Apple. 

OUCH ! Didn't she promote Spotify HD in February? LOL. 

dcaseyb

That's it I'm done.  Still no HiFi when EVERY Spotify competitor already offers it. The existing Sound quality of Spotify makes it sound like junk from the 90's.  Get with it Spotify!!!  When will you offer HiFi?  Enough screwing around.  Give us a date!  I will be cancelling my subscription soon if no response.

Soundquality

Spotify’s lack of transparency on lossless is awful. I have to say I’m not sure a company this unresponsive can make it in the long run . 
Someone said Spotify was going to make an announcement on 7/30 ……… crickets. 

Soundquality

The select market Spotify will come out with lossless will only be Sweden ! Lol

Soundquality

Kidding aside , this is a really bad look for Spotify.  

BobJS

If you were to look back about 2 years on this thread, I posted a screenshot of my cancellation of Spotify to move to Tidal because of no lossless.   Spotify has promised lossless for this year, I believe, but I just hear crickets.  So I just renewed my Tidal for a year.   Can't post a screenshot this time, but after visiting this forum, Spotify asks for a feedback survey.  Here is the comment I left them :

"Clamor for lossless audio has been going on for years. You are deaf and mute on this issue in the forums. You've promised lossless for this year, but as it is not out yet, I have renewed my Tidal subscription for another year. Next year at this time I may check again to see if you've gotten**bleep** together yet."

Edit:  Yes, they censored what I actually wrote and replaced with **bleep**

Edit 2: Sorry, I just checked.  My original post was January 2019, so closer to 2 1/2 years ago.

PaulMac

If nothing else Spotify has shown remarkable consistency. Consistently atrocious customer service.

In the 6 months since their extremely vague announcement about cd quality, they haven’t answered a single question about the new service. No engagement in the forums, no transparency - just business as usual. 

Soundquality

Well said and completely true . Not sure why they don’t communicate with their customers very well . It could end up being their downfall.