Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
petsy48
Or......
Try out Amazon HD for less.
lappymusicman
I have but don’t like it for some reason
petsy48
The Android app still is very s-l-o-w but there playlists have really
improved and LOVE the sound. Maybe give it another try if they offer you
a deal in the future.
I felt the same about Amazon Music... For now, i'm sticking with Tidal... great qualify, fast and stable as a rock and they show full credits for every album/music. I love to click in the music credits to find who was part of it and discover new music from the same artist/producers. Tidal also seems to be more concerned about the royalties division problem (If you listened to the same Rihanna sound 50 times, and I listened to my preferred artists only a few times, most of my money is going to lady gaga, even if I never listened to her.... Tidal recently started trying to change that problem.)
*great quality
Audioplayer

Tidal is not great quality: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pRjsu9-Vznc

Spotify has a faster app. I don’t find Tidal too be that stable either for me. The only thing I’ll agree on is that Tidal is trying out a user centric payment system which seems good in theory. Deezer has been trying to do it for a few years before Tidal too don’t understand why Tidal can be allowed and not Deezer. Qobuz has the best sound quality and Spotify has the among the best UI’s (user debatable). In order for Spotify to continue to stay relevant it needs to offer better sound quality like Deezer, Qobuz Apple Music and Amazon Music are where Tidal is actually giving you degraded higher quality files and overcharging you for them and Pandora and YouTube are still living in the past with MP3 files. Don’t fall for Tidal’s scam quality. To me they are slapping the artists in the face by degrading their music!!

spider623

YT music is AAC actually, like apple music, from what i saw in the wiki, Spotify also moved to AAC but makes no sense since AAC only goes up to 256kbps that is a bit better than mp3 320kpbs and they say that verry high quality is 320kbps AAC?

so no idea what the heck they are doing, what i do know is that it's December and there is no lossless option

Spotify uses AAC only on web player. They don't advert anymore the codec they use in their clients, but it used to be ogg/vorbis for mobile and desktop (and I believe that this is still the case since their sound quality still sucks, at least until last month when I tried it last time using a friend's account).

LawLee

When is Hifi coming? Tidal just gave a shot over your bow with a free tier. I am disappointed with your sluggishness here. If you do not keep your promise of Hifi release this I am cancelling my Premium subscription in December. With all sincerity and regards...

huck50

Yeah...for me,forget the lyrics and give me some Hi-Fi!