Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
demo_sphere

I've cancelled my Spotify subscription and used Soundizz to transfer all my playlists and albums to Tidal (I'm aware of the MQA issue, I'm happy with CD quality).

Anyway, Spotify dragged me along for too long, I was promised HiFi so long ago that I feel some what skrewed over here. As such I will not be returning to Spotify until HiFi is implemented, and will also now be advising people to leave the platform as well.

The lack of transparency here is disappointing, as a long time supporter of Spotify, it's a real shame that they couldn't keep us updated with what's happening with the feature.

robigouk

Well I've read the next version of Bluetooth "Bluetooth LE" is about to start rolling out in the near future and this supports lossless audio over Bluetooth.  If Spotify haven't got HiFi released when these new earbuds start appearing on the market that will be the point they start losing a lot more subscribers.

Dismiss
Most definitely. Even though Apple Music is the only service that can match
Spotify's catalogue, and they do offer everything at a very reasonable cost,
they still discriminate against Windows and Android TV, which essentially
excludes hundreds of possible devices. which I happen to use. I'm never
going to get an AM sub as long as this continues.
Gromushka

Here we see global misunderstanding between Spotify management and users requirements. 

The simple to see today - mobile listeners are coming home to continue listen on some devices. Simple way to continue listen is  use wireless active acoustic systems. 

Sharing music with google or apple devices currently is very simple. 

Also not a secret, but in case user are from more related to music quality like hi-fi etc. the user put at home some stereo system with internal media system. 

The center of this media was usually some device (like a media streamer) but today we could see transfer users to use custom devices Like Raspberry Pi and similar to play music. 

The reason is finance crisis and price of currently available solutions for sale. 

From here we should pay attention to next point - what is a next steps for Spotify? Support OEM's with new functionality to disable possible custom way todo similar solution t home. This point should be good because number of sales of OEM devices has been related to Spotify gross margin. 

Second way is to provide more functionality to users, and lost margin from OEM's. As we could see here only features with additional payment could be provided from Spotify, but I think amount of features to provide for additional payments is not enough. 

So guy's we can ask for Hi-Fi, for some Spotify connect available for all family in subscription, and more and more usable function for us but not, because is not a part of real plan how to do business in Spotify. 

The one way as written above - go to others for required functionality to make Spotify money lost. This only single way to do. 

El0h1m

@demo_sphere 

Remember that all Tidal's tracks labeled as a 'Master' have no longer true CD Quality available.

All Tidal's 'Master' tracks stream in FOLDED MQA when streaming 'Lossless'. Which is even worse than fully unfolded MQA.

Only tracks without 'Master' are really Lossless.

Qobuz is the only service with true HI-Res and CD quality.
If want to CD Quality only then Deezer as well.

tmrxddd

Issue is still not fixed. Spotify still won't play at 384kHz except when changing the bitrate during playback. #unacceptable #notsolved #itsaproblem

Qbovv

The seemingly endless wait for lossless is over of for me. I ordered Tidal for the same price. So why should I wait Any longer. Even spotify still doesn't know what to do even when everyone want's lossless, no announcements, no dates, so do no effort for me anymore.
You have only one advantage, it's easier streaming (connecting) to a dedicated device than it is with Tidal. But I did IT so that's solved, I have tons (well maybe six) raspberry Pi's, on of them is now a upnp server on it's own. I would like to share the details, but other people did it already on ze web, so it's somewhere out there. IT-er are really lazy.
Second mayor reason why I leave Spotify is because they pay less than peanuts to artists, my brother is an artist, he is well known in the Dutch speaking halve of our already small country, Belgium. When you song is streamed for at least 30 seconds, and it's not by someone who bares the ad's, than my Bro receives maximum 0.009€ per stream, 0.0009€ if it was by a free listener. He probably still need to pay taxes on the 10€ max per month he earns by spotify.
Due to my knowledge of python and the spotify api, I'll slowly but surely exhaust my playlists and favourite tracks, don't block my keys while I'm stilling paying for the service or you face a civil case, I'm disabled, I can sue The King without paying a dime.
Why have the most grate song disappeared? Big artist don't need you to screw up there music for 9 euro-cents where they worked on for months. Go Flac today (it had to be done last year) or it will be SpotiBye for a lot of users.
In me you loose a user with an obscurify score of 90+. Done learning on my back. Bye!

spider623

Update, Apple Music is bringing back artist follow, so another nail in Spotify's coffin...

Faintandfuzzy
The problem I have with Apple, that that with high end streaming amps and
DACs, they refuse to release their API so software builders can create a
linking app. Instead, they want us to use Airplay 2. The problem with
Airplay 2 is that even though the Apple file is high rez, Airplay converts
to 256 AAC..which is back to low quality like Spotify. Until that changes,
Tidal, Qobuz, etc, are the only higher rez options.
Geepstar
It's a shame that music isn't seen as art, but only as moneymaker. And cd
quality was also a downgrade to be able to put more tracks on a cd. But
compared with streaming quality it is way better.

I want 24bit 96khz. Much more details and clarity. And you don't even have
to have great ears. Anyone will hear the difference. And for now I don't
ask it for all 9 channels on my hifi surround system.

On music events most use lp's. But that's also stupid, at least for a lot
of new lp's. Mostly it's cd quality 'burned' on an lp. So having the
downsides of records.