Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
BertH1

Wow great; 6 six years ago I posted this subject to get better sound quality on Spotify and now 6 years later still no HiFi quality but I earned a magnificent Badge  ! I'm so very happy and proud. 

Hi BertH1,

You just earned a new badge!

Registered for six years

Happy sixth communiversary!

Samppa3

No progress and no advancement on this important matter. Too bad this could have been something.

Spotify keeping total silence means that this is completely forgotten thing now.

I think Im losing total faith and respect as how poorly this has now been handled. Total disrespect towards paying customers.

Im seriously debating what to do here..if I should wait for eternal time or switch to another service? if so, which service?

Qobuz sounds like beast, it's so detailed and more immersive sound than the flat, lifeless compressed file from Spotify.

So for me, I think Qobuz might be the best bet here at the moment..your take on this, what should I choose here?

alerim

Spotify stop giving us promises that you can't keep

El0h1m
Definitely Qobuz mate. I subscribed for a whole year in advance. Purchased some nice Topping DX5 and daaaaamn. I can't believe I wasted so much time here.
Jodokus
Can you tell me how you stream Qobuz lossless without Qobuz connect? Airplay still lossy and I really don’t like Mconnect.. I hope Qobuz releases their connect function soon, they are crippled without it (non Roon).
mctesterson

While Spotify runs in circles and wastes away their most devoted and passionate customers, Qobuz continues to innovate.

I'm not a headphones listener generally, but this Friday they released three titles in THX Spatial Audio.

THX Spatial Audio, only available on Qobuz! Combining our standard of 24-bit audio clarity with ​​the 360 degree “out of the head” experience of THX Spatial Audio, each song gives listeners the feeling of literally being in a space with the performers. Be sure to listen with headphones and enjoy! 

And word is that they're going to bring in DSD releases soon.  And supposedly they're still hard at work on Qobuz Connect (or whatever they end up calling it).

This Friday's new releases at Qobuz (happens every Friday) include high-resolution streaming of albums from Danger Mouse, Megan Thee Stallion, Danny Elfman, Alicia Keys, Toshi Kasai.  Last Friday was Neil Young, **bleep** Riot, Eminem.  Two weeks ago was Beyonce, Little Feat, Amanda Shires, Grateful Dead, Tedeschi Trucks Band, Of Montreal, Josh Rouse.

And that's only the high-res titles that I recognize as "popular" artists.  Every Friday brings probably 20-25 featured new albums, all minimum CD-quality 44.1/16, with many in high-resolution up to 192/24.

Why would anyone who cares about sound quality and has a diverse range of music interests ever waste any time at lossy Spotify?

I probably play less than 1 hour a month of Spotify anymore - that's only on the rare instance where a specific piece of music I really want to hear isn't on Qobuz.  We only keep subscribing to Spotify because my partner is used to it, and it's easier for her to play on her phone / in her car than Qobuz.  Once Qobuz gets Connect, I'll make an appeal for us to cancel Spotify.  Can't wait for that day!

mctesterson

okee dokee ... so Spotify censors band names. Qobuz does not.

I was referring to Pu55y R10t in my previous post.   Not bleep riot.

So score one more for Qobuz.

mimiakane

Now is August 2022 and still no lossless music quality.
Where is our HiFi tier? Is the video which has Billie Eilish just a joke (or a scam I should say)? And the post way back to 2014?

habu77

@mctesterson

I do find it disappointing that with 2022 in its second half there's still no progress on the hi-fi front. I will keep Spotify because they host some of my favourite albums not found on other streaming services but when Qobuz releases its connect version my dedicated listening will shift to Qobuz. It can't be a licensing problem alone. Every streaming service now offers CD quality and yet the biggest of them all just haven't been able to implement it? I don't buy it. I still really, really love the functionality but there's a limit to my love. 

PCorreia
Fair enough but my honest question to you is: why are you still paying for
a subpar music streaming service when all the competition have better sound
quality?

I’ve left Spotify last March after being a looong premium user and I
couldn’t be more happy. The only thing that I blame myself is not doing
that sooner.

Speak with your wallet, they don’t care about anything else.