Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
coo

I'm currently trialling Qbouz And am really enjoying lossless sound (imperfections with 320kbs being a real bug bear of mine). However, their apps are quite flakey and have annoying bugs . Plus their library falls well short of spotify. I don't want to move so please tell us when you plan to introduce this option!

cjHAT10

Having been a subscriber to Spotify since the early days and have been delighted to see it develop into the sophisticated  product it is today. It has also had a significant impact upon the music I listen and eventually  purchase. I purchase in order to get better sound quality when playing through my  Naim/Artcoustic HiFi. So I have tried Qobuz like many others in this thread.  Qobuz presents a great improvement in sound quality, yet like many others I prefer the Spotify interface and catalogue. BUT, I will leave Spotify if there are no plans to introduce Lossless streaming. After all at the end of the day  Spotify and Qobuz are about listening to music but  on Spotify about 80% iof the music is missing due to its lower bit rate. So come Spotify provide Lossless streaming to your loyal customers. If you don't  you'll lose us.

PegHorse

As i can't find on Qobuz what i want, i decided to try for free WIMP HIFI MUSIC, which is not available in all countries but you can manage to have an account anyway if you are capable to use Proxies, which i did actually.

So my account is working and i even had 24h for testing anything with that.

I was amazed, let's say, i can find around 90% of my research.

It cost around 19.99€ per months to get a full subscription in lossless mode, with download features etc..

So ok the catalog is not as full as the one of Spotify but clearly there is a real difference between the sound of WIMP HIFI and Spotify so i released finally than the Premium Quality of Spotify is not enough.

Lossy compression has to be less expensive today.

Audiophile want to enjoy their music in true quality and there is no good offer for that.

IF Qobuz, WIMP HIFI can stream lossless so is Spotify.

That being said, i will cancel my Spotify subscription in the end of this month if Spotify is not able to give us a Lossless offer.

I will go to WIMP HIFI instead.

superliuwanjia

Bump this idea!

I have a whole set of hifi gear that suppose some general purpose audio drivers such as ASIO/WASAPI. Perfect if we can do this in spotify and get loseless audios! I would like to pay more if necessary.

Thanks!

BroderLund

Apple has announced digial out on iOS devises. 16bit 48kHz. Another reason to push for lossless!

cvlamis

Bump. Much needed!

timiambeing

Every day this idea gets several new Kudos - any comment Spotify team?

masoncurry

Yes, Please add lossless. I think you could easily attract a whole different group of users by doing so (Most of the Headfi community would be pretty happy). I wouldn't mind paying extra for it. Bandwidth also doesn't cost near what it used to. I just gave up my WiMP trial, and their music sounded amazing. If WiMP comes to the US (as they want to), they'll be the first to provide it here. 

Grahamps
I have begun using Orastream. Implement their technology under the hood and let us get this era rolling! I sell Hifi equipment, but no longer believe this is just an audiophile issue. There will be a huge sigh of sonic relief felt around the globe when Spotify goes Hi Res. Contact Kelvin Lee at Orastream and pave the way for a future of better than CD quality through Spotify!
lotos96

At the moment, flac is still a relatively uncommon format"

are you for real??? or not really listening to an important group of music lovers with audio systems

Bottom line is that it probably doesn't fit in the businessmodel and you don't care about the little investmement you would have to make

Are you a music service provider who wants to make money or commercial wankers, that's the question