Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
jukemark

+1 here for lossless. I also subscribe to Qobuz and am quite happy to pay the £19.99 monthly. Hardly ever use Spotify now...sadly as the interface is so much better. PLEASE Spotify...personaly I wont be paying for both for too long, and I wont be going back to 320 😞

timiambeing

I agree Spotify is the slicker and more accomplished interface, but like you I can't justify keeping that £9.99 a month going for ever, if I could find a way of getting my playlists into Qobuz (sadly the import from Spotify barely works as the album name has to be exactly as held on Qobuz and nearly always isn't!) then I would have gone already despite years of loyal attachment. I use Qobuz mainly for classical, blues and jazz as the extra quality is really noticeable on headphones - and Spotify does just have the edge on new music releases, but I suspect Qobuz will get there soon. Come on Spotify, you traditionally take many months to implement ideas even if you are actually working on them, and you never ever hardly tell us what you are doing or comment much in here beyond the quick "nice idea but not right now" mention - but just this once be honest and give us a clue - if you are not going to implement lossless streaming in the next year say, then please say so!

I'll give it another month or two and then I'm off - which would be a pain if you then implemented lossless and I had lost all my playlists!

Solid303

I'd love for Spotify to offer lossless!

I have invested in both a DAC and a pair of high end headphones.

It would be awesome if i could reach the full potential of my equipment with Spotify.

Also, I would be willing to pay a little extra for lossless quality as well, and we all know Spotify could use the extra money.

In the meantime i'll use Wimp HiFi

Best regards / Petter

thislexy

Please Spotify! Offer your true customers better quality. After trying Qobuz I'm willing to pay 19,99 for a super-premium Spotify account that offers better quality. The only reason why I stay with Spotify is the better app and extensive catalogue. But as soon as Qobuz reaches your level I'll switch over. Unless........ Spotify adapts to this new market for music lovers / audiophiles.

andybfmv96

some of us already have unlimited data and a high enough network speed. I +1

Maroder

I'm just testing Qobuz.

WOW, what a difference! Of course you need the equipment to fully appreciate the enhanced quality, but it is just so much better in direct comparison. Although the interface of the player itself is not as good and slick as Spotify.

I hope Spotify doesn't miss out here as I think lossless music streaming will be the next big thing in audio streaming.

In other words:

SPOTIFY I WANT LOSSLESS NOW AND I DONT CARE HOW MUCH IT COSTS!

*throws money at the screen*

timiambeing
*throws money at the screen* are you listening Spotify 🙂
jukemark

Apple may well be announcing Lossless streaming next week...c'mon Spotify

Thinking to switch to qobuz which is less convenient to use... In the end when you love music you want the best sound first. It's a shame that this is not coming soon.

rishisaran

Thank you for highlighting this issue.

I have switched for good to Quobuz for now after cancelling my premium subscription with Spotify. Hope they work fast around this need else I am not coming back to them.

I am happy to compromise with a not so great UX of Qobuz in return for a richer audio quality experience which is quiet evident when you listen to FLAC through Qobuz. It still is not as great as DSD, WAV, DXD or 24bits 192kHz experience but definitely better than the audio quality at which Spotify currently streams at.