Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
Samppa3

Apple announces news and new stuff today, most likely it will also contain lossless and spatial audio added to Apple Music.

Yet again as I wandered to this thread, I can't believe the time that Spotfy has wasted by overlooking these important things and now it's soon starting to lose more and more customers. 7 years and still we don't know any actual date and it's still not even sure if they will have it during this year. They've (Spotify) has told us it's in selected markets this year..so some will hang on there while other have gone to other services. Market leader becomes the last to adopt lossless..Im really pleased to see the competition change the situation completely.

Samppa3

I think Spotify lost the game many years ago, when they didn't listen to us at all and decided to only invest in making monopoly on podcasts and etc irrelevant and so gladly competitors (even more tinier companies) are now taking a toll.

I've somehow been with Spotify from the start (when it was first as invite only) but as this has gone like it has gone, I will gladly abort this sinking ship and choose better service, that will give better payments to artists/bands but the one that will more listening to it's users and so develop the software based on our precious feedback.

At the moment Im on trial with Qobuz..might pick that one or Deezer. Tidal is also ok, but I know how some feel about mqa as I have any additional dac (besides the one that is in my Marantz) so can't have the last fold-out.

Anyways, looking forward to other services and definitely interested in hearing out the details of Apple Music soon.

Soundquality

Apple lossless is out on 20 million tracks , with full library lossless by the end of the year . Most popular artists are in lossless and hi res . 

Spotify got beat to the punch by not listening to their customer base years ago. 

Has anyone seen a big company move slower to meet customer needs?? 

PaulMac

This does appear to be very embarrassing for Spotify. Here we are months after the announcement of 'Hi-Fi' at the glitzy Stream On event back in February. All this time later and we're still none the wiser as to when it will actually happen, the cost, in what regions it will be available or if it will include high-res.

Meanwhile none of the the high profile ceremonies needed from Apple. A simple press release stating exactly what would happen and a few weeks later its done. Leaving Spotify as the only remaining platform not providing at least CD quality. Ouch!

Spotify will lose significant numbers of customers to this issue but they are still ahead of the game in terms of the user interface and Spotify Connect. But it's going to be very difficult for them to compete against the big guns longer term. The resources available to Apple and Amazon are vast in comparison. To remain viable Spotify needs to focus on their core business (music rather than podcasts) and more than anything they need to start listening to what customers actually want rather than what they THINK we want!

bzero
I have just canceled my Spotify Subscription, because Apple now has
lossless 48kHz and also HD-lossless with 192kHz! As soon as Spotify
provides the same, I'll be back as customer.
hans-jürgen

"Leaving Spotify as the only remaining platform not providing at least CD quality."

Well, they could still beat Google aka YouTube aka YouTube Music. 😉

rastaman2000

Why is this website so unbelievably SLOW?! 🐌

rastaman2000

As a student you can have Lossless, incl. Hi-Res for $4.99/mo.

https://www.apple.com/apple-music/ 🎧

BrunoSaragiotto

On reddit the user u/rabbitlikeswires showed that he already has found some misc unreleased stuff in the latest Spotify APK, hifi mode also are in the latest apk. I think they gonna launch the hifi mode soon. Link to the post below.

Found some misc unreleased stuff in the latest Spotify APK (version 8.6.36.372) 

Audioplayer

"Leaving Spotify as the only remaining platform not providing at least CD quality."

Well, they could still beat Google aka YouTube aka YouTube Music. “

Pandora is another holdout as well.