Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
habu77

@LawLee I am using the HiFi (so cd quality) tier. It sounds marginally better and I just love the idea that for the same price I get this quality by default. I am keeping Spotify for the moment because of the UI and I am missing a few albums on Tidal. Like I said, I will instantly revert back to Spotify when they go hifi because for me Spotify Connect and the UI are still superior to any of the other services I have tried. I'm a dreamer. I still think it will come, they just can't be the only big one left behind offering 320 when all the rest has moved on and put cd quality as default.

lappymusicman

I’ve settled on Amazon Music HD and purchased an Echo Flex to plug directly into my HiFi which gives me the equivalent of Spotify Connect. Improved the sound over Apple Airplay which his limitations in quality. 

LawLee

Et al,

Wow!

The news on Spotify keeps getting worse. Joni Mitchell has joined Neil Young in removing music from Spotify. Analysts have said that $4 billion of Spotify's market capitalization has evaporated in the 6 days since that announcement.

In the wake of this controversy, trending on social media are the hashtags #CancelSpotify, #DeleteSpotify and #ByeSpotify.

Why is this relevant here?

On top of that Neil Young takes a swipe at the sound quality saying to Variety that Spotify's sound quality is "sh*tty, degraded and neutered". He announced a new partnership with Amazon Music Unlimited. Ouch!

Will you guys please release HiFi already?

For your own sake, and that of your fans and investors, try generating some positive press instead of the constant barrage of self-inflicted foot bullets...

Soundquality

Spotify cares little about music anymore . It wants podcasts , which possibly  generate more revenue. Not sure though. 

One thing is certain though . Adding lossless without raising prices like Apple will reduce their revenue most likely with increased server costs . 

paulove

Saw two featured elements on Apple Music today.

Neil Lives Here

Joni Lives Here 

All of their music is on Apple Music. 

Audioplayer

@paulove

Their music is also on Qobuz and Deezer. Some on Tidal and most likely  Pandora, Amazon Music and YouTube Music as well. Belly has just mentioned they want to remove their music from Spotify as well but they say it is more of a complicated process for them somehow.

Sonos_Steve

Pressure building!

Focus on music and quality NOT questionable content PODCASTS

vaajy

This can be true as:

"Spotify cares little about music anymore . It wants podcasts , which possibly  generate more revenue. Not sure though. "

As the more people listen hour long podcasts, the less they need to pay for the music.

Gonzo6

OK! Spotify has no idea, when to have losless streaming. The only solution is to change to another streaming service, which has this! Neil Young partially has found correct words.

soboyle

I honestly don't care about some sad old hypocrite rockstars whining or wannabe alphamale stoner podcasts, I just want lossless quality Spotify!! PLEASE! I just started a trial for Apple Music and the quality is LEAGUES better, especially on good sound-systems. I am honestly having trouble justifying Spotify now, the mild social aspect of sharing playlists is all that is keeping me paying. Once I transfer all of my many playlists to Apple Music, it will be bye-bye Spotify... unless they add lossless soon. My trial for AppleMusic is up in June, Spotify has until then. Please do though, I have used Spotify for over 10 years.