Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
mctesterson

Excellent post, @LawLee !   96kHz and 192kHz / 24bit sure is wonderful, isn't it?  As I type this, I'm listening to Nick Drake's albums in 96kHz / 24bit on Qobuz, and it's so magnificent.  I was prompted to give them a fresh listen after reading an article about these high-res versions in a music magazine ... and there was scant mention of lossy Spotify anywhere in that article, which otherwise highlighted HDTracks, Qobuz, and Tidal.

I can't imagine ever going back to Spotify with their very outdated Ogg Vorbis (thanks for reminding me that they made that technology choice way back...) implementation. 

What once was fashion-forward is now looking very outdated, as if Spotify walked into the room many years ago wearing a polyester suit with wide lapels that turned heads, but they're still wearing that same suit while the rest of us have moved on whatever it is the kids these days are wearing.

(I happen to be wearing Uniqlo shirt and selvedge jeans, with Toms sneakers, but I'm 52 years old so I left aspirations for cutting edge fashion behind a long time ago ... yet I still feel light-years ahead of Spotify.) 

Hey Spotify are you willing to undergo a fashion / technology makeover?  Get in touch with me.  Seriously; I'm a business consultant who helps companies modernize into the 21st century ... Henrik Kniberg did AMAZING work with y'all back in the day, but looking at your performance today, it seems that you've forgotten how to innovate and delight your customers.  Please consider bringing in some help to take the next steps forward in your corporate journey!

El0h1m

Just signed for Qobuz.

Oh my God. This quality is fantastic.

Switched Wasapi (Exclusive mode) for my external DAC - DAMN!!!

Not going back to this Podcastify **bleep**. No no no.

LawLee

@El0h1m
I agree with you. Using Wasapi Exclusive mode provides the best experience using Qobuz. Arguably the best sound experience I have heard using any of the music streaming services. There is a broadening of the soundstage that doesn't occur with other modes of usage. I find the bass gets tighter and the attack and decay of treble improves. But to be clear every mode of usage beats compressed music such as on our host Spotify. Spotify are you listening to us?

It's phenomenal being able to use the app on a computer screen. You have cleaner access to the Qobuz GUI's content goodness. BTW Did you notice that you can use the control key and mouse scroll wheel to change the scaling of the text in the app? A subtle feature that's quite welcoming.

El0h1m

New article just showed up.

Spotify is too pricey for what you get. Cancel and try these 3 services instead | TechRadar

Some summary done by MY OWN research.

It is shame they didn't mentioned the TRUE Hi-Res platform - Qobuz.

TIDAL - Lossy MQA. Their Lossless option is just FOLDED MQA - so BIG NO NO.

Deezer - CD Quality, OK
Amazon - OK but their exclusive mode is non existent. I mean it does but not working as it should.

Apple Music - Very outdated and limited Windows App is just - no no.

Qobuz - TRUE KING OF HI-RES. Their Exclusive mode works as a dream and music itself sounds phenomenal (signed for a year-worth subscription 🙂  ).

Jodokus
Did Qobuz fix their unstable wasapi exclusive mode on Win10? I love Qobuz but had to quit because of this. Tidal is rock solid with their exclusive mode.. Using a Chord Qutest dac.
El0h1m

@Jodokus
Looks like they did. They had some issues before (tested few moths ago).

Now came back to Qobuz, tested Wasapi straight away. 

It is a dream. Everything sounds great. My DAC indicator is changing every time the song have a different bit rate.

I tested it under different circumstances like changing sample rate in windows mixer to see if this will confuse Qobuz - nope. Qobuz and their Wasapi exclusive mode is rock solid for me.

Using Hidizs DH80S as my desktop DAC for headphones.

NoNoise

I am going to try Qobuz again in the next month or so.

I've been using Amazon (despite Exclusive Mode finicky-ness), because it is cheaper and had a much better music selection.

Qobuz used to be missing a LOT of music I searched for, but I know they've gotten much better over the last couple years.

Jodokus
Fantastic to hear, will try it right away. Thanks!!
LawLee

El0h1m et al.

I got a response from the author. He's a Qobuz user. Are you folks listening?

Spotify is too pricey for what you get. Cancel and try these 3 services instead | TechRadar

[Me] "Thank you for your opinion. However many people in this arena are adopting Qobuz as a HighRes streamer. Why no mention?"

[Al Griffin] You're welcome. I'm a Qobuz user myself, but being high-res audio-centered, that service is not the obvious option for average people looking to switch from Spotify. Qobuz is for serious audiophiles, and it serves that community very well! Perhaps a separate post on Qobuz is a good idea.

Thanks for writing.

Al Griffin

El0h1m

Al Griffin

That's great to hear!

I fall in love with Qobuz. 

Audio quality is amazing and now I know that I am using my hardware in 100%. 
From now on - just investing in better and better DAC and headphones. 🙂

All the best and enjoy Qobuz ❤️ .