Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
walp
Amen mate. Such a pity that Spotify let true loyal customers/music
lovers/Spotify advocates like you leave without even a small hand wave.
Looks like a giant **bleep** tbh.

Enjoy your new Apple service!
Faintandfuzzy
Make sure you use a wired connection. Airplay 2 compresses to AAC 256
jzzmusician

I apologize for yet again bringing up the difference between what Spotify calls, "high res," and what is really possible.  Three weeks ago I subscribed to Qobuz.  I am stunned by the difference.  Gobsmacked, blown away and "are you kidding me," are terms I would use.  The difference is more than just a bit.  It's huge.  I listen to music because how it makes me feel.  The, "feel," with Qobuz is miles above Spotify.  

It's time.  Spotify, please up your game.  You have the best curating algorithms in the universe.  I find more music that I like with your service, but the quality sucks.  

All my playlists have been moved to Qobuz and soon, after 8 years I will just be another subscriber who quit your service..

b3nny89

I'm here once again posting on the form. It's crazy. I think it was 2 years ago or 3? Maybe more that I had posted my concerns here on the form about high res audio - all I can say is that it is time and it is time to get with the times Spotify. You have the infrastructure and resources spread across this globe to stream the service.. any other businesses that you've conducted would be shaking their head right now for the rest have already tooken the lead in high res audio. I don't even know why I'm still subscribed with you

Gromushka

Hehe - we have bugs, removed songs, problems in wrapp sharing and someone here still waits high-res? 

I'm building my own collection of music files in real high res. Yes it's expensive and couldn't be done quickly.

Spotify today only in car and for checking new music. Nothing more. 

Aquarius17

My emergency solution for the time being:

Free Spotify (Connect) to comfortably voice-control quite relaxing background music on my Google Cast loudspeakers (quality is secondary in this case).

Tidal for listening to high-res music on my headphones 🎧

I mistreated my ears for too many years with crappy Spotify quality! 🙉

eule_7834

I'm not going to pay more than +20% for lossless though.

londonguy73

all you guys saying "if they don't launch lossless I'll be cancelling" 

just cancel it. spotify are not going to be launching it. go elsewhere. tidal is about the same for the user experience with better sounding music. qobuz sounds better still but not quite the user experience. you're all just wasting your time. 

lawrie124
I agree, my preimum Spotify subscription has just ended and I got so frustrated waiting for their new Platinum / Hifi subscription I just let it mine run out and have not renewed it.

I joined Qobuz which admittedly has less choice but sounds significantly better on quality equipment, and especially headphones.

The biggest let down for me is how Spotify do not comment at all in relation to the subject, and leave its customers with small scraps of hope and then deliver nothing.

As the company has this bad way of communicating and treating its customers, I think the best protest is to put your money elsewhere and support a different company that prioritises sound quality and customer care if those are priorities that matter to you personally, as they matter a lot to me.