Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
aris2504
This is not a feature request or idea. We've known for 3 years that HiFi is supposed to be coming.

It's safe to assume that Spotify has most if not all of their content in FLAC quality already. I imagine that most users who care about this are likely to be okay paying a premium, and those who aren't just stick with their current tier. I know I would be -- I've already paid so much for my audio gear.

To quote Chris Welch (The Verge), "it came to a point where I couldn’t keep ignoring that other services are objectively providing richer audio quality." and I agree. Spotify Connect is great but the competition has caught up and it's getting harder and harder to justify a Spotify subscription.
bart1981

What a JOKE still no good sound.

usr_spoti

Oh, come on, Spotify! It's "2024". Bring on the HiFi.

Blue_Crayon2233

This is a joke. 

I'm paying for Spotify AND Apple music (that do have Lossless for years now). 

Anyone knows what will happen to the playlists in Spotify if I cancel our premium family plan? Would they remain just switch to ad based?

lappymusicman
You don’t lose any playlists or albums etc but you’ll only get something like 6 skips per hour and the bitrate is lower but it doesn’t bother me to be honest, I just let the album/playlist run
Samppa3

Meanwhile Tidal reacts:

Tidal drops plus tier, includes it in the hifi tier for the same price

"Starting April 10, 2024, you will now get access to our music library in full lossless, HiRes FLAC, and Dolby Atmos sound for the same price you pay today of $10.99 (plus applicable sales tax)/month.

This is because we’re making it easier for everyone to enjoy best-in-class sound quality by combining our HiFi and HiFi Plus tiers into a single subscription tier called TIDAL.

You will see these changes reflected on your Subscription page at account.tidal.com 17 on your first billing date on or after April 10, 2024. Thanks for choosing to be a TIDAL subscriber."

https://support.tidal.com/hc/en-au/articles/23008953804945-Upcoming-Changes-to-TIDAL-Subscriptions

What is Spotify doing? Nothing. They only concentrate on audiobooks and podcasts. I wonder will they give lossless/hires to audiobooks and podcasts instead and totally forgot that they used to be here for the music.

bzero

Dear Spotify team, your last update was on 2022-01-07

Two years later you could update the current status. WHAT ARE YOUR PLANS?

PaulDNice

Podcasts, Podcasts and podcasts…)))

mctesterson

Unfortunately, @bzero you are talking to people (the team who developed and were preparing to launch the Hi-Fi feature) who were laid off a few months ago, as told on other websites such as Reddit.

Unless Spotify eventually assigns new developers to resume work on launching and maintaining Hi-Fi feature for customers in the future, this project is dead dead dead by the hands of leadership who cares more about profiting off conspiratorial misinformation merchants like Joe Rogan, and audiobooks, and low-quality **bleep** audio for music.

Blue_Crayon2233

Yeah I've had it just cancelled the 'premium' family plan, we have Apple music. Thanks Spotify for all the (lossy) music.