Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
rastaman2000

ABX High Fidelity Test

http://abx.digitalfeed.net/

Sal1950

Half the year is over and STILL WAITING !!!

Soundquality

And not a peep on when lossless might be ready.  Maybe they will reverse course and say they aren’t going to do it now. 

calebwillison
Online tests are such a waste of time. The best test is to sit triangulated
with your speakers, or get your headphones on, and listen to a big variety
of music you're familiar with. Some songs are mixed well and some just
aren't. Then compare 320 with the lossless.

Fact: whether you notice the difference or not, it's there and lossless is
going to be better.

The difference I hear compared to lossless is that 320 tends to seem louder
because they compress the audio, so quieter sections sound louder. At first
listen you might actually like 320 more than lossless especially if it's
what you're used to. But 320 is not better than lossless. Again, factually
speaking, lossless is more true than 320.

All these online tests are stupid and irrelevant to the conversation.
calebwillison
If that happens then I'm switching to something else. I just upgraded my
home audio and am very much ready for streaming/downloading lossless audio.
Soundquality

Well Spotify will find it difficult to raise prices now that Apple added lossless without doing so . 
Maybe Spotify will say forget it . Don’t forget they teased folks years ago with lossless , some even trialed it I believe , and did nothing after that.  

Chris1995

In my opinion I believe although it is a longer wait then we all want, I think when they finally roll it out this year it will be a way better roll out than AM’s was. A few of my colleagues as well as friends have had a buggy app experience ever since lossless rolled out over on AM. 

we gotta Trust the process on this one.

Soundquality

Actually I installed Apple Music beta on my Hiby Digital Audio player and it sounds fantastic and the sampling rate is switching properly . The downloading onto a sd card of lossless files has worked flawlessly. 

Soundquality

I have not had any glitches on Apple Music beta

Sal1950

If Spotify backs out now they might as well just close up.

That would be like committing suicide.

I highly doubt they would do that.