Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
huck50

Thanks for replying.

Were you comparing Spotify to Amazon Unlimited,or Spotify to Qobuz? Thanks,Huck

huck50

I have been away from headphone listening for about a week and everything sounds better all around...maybe just something in my head playing tricks on me?...I dunno,more space,more stereo seperation.Huck

lappymusicman
My Amazon Unlimited/HD subscription finished a week ago but before it did I played several tracks on Amazon and Spotify for comparison and to be honest I felt that Spotify sounded just the same, or in some cases cleaner. I tried Tidal last year and that sounded better but I didn’t’ want to pay twice the price for it plus don’t particularly want to give any of my money to Jay-Z. Also tried Apple Music but hated the UI and the way it seemed to work. Guess I’ve been with Spotify for so long now I’ve got an attachment with it.
Zorq

Spotify still streams max 320 kbps 16 bit 44.1 kHz material. I cannot say it got better than before. 

I still hear much difference compared to Qobuz FLAC 16 bit 44.1 kHz, however, maybe from different source recording.

Upsampling Spotify to 24/192 (obviously) still doesn't come near to Qobuz FLAC hi-res 24/192. 

The loss I perceive (with 320 kbps 16/44.1 vs FLAC 16/44.1) is in bass resolution, tonality (richness of harmonics), dynamic peaks, clarity and sound stage - both with speakers and headphones. Though not with all of my headphones. Which is one of the reasons why Spotify might be reluctant to change: for most people's systems it's already good enough.

habu77

I can't pick out the subtle differences anymore, could be a post Covid thing. I took the Qobuz trial really looking forward to the hires experience but since I can't tell them apart anymore I will stick with Spotify.

ajmarini

Qobuz still isn't available in Canada

Maybe licensing is the culprit with Spotify. 

Samppa3

With todays problems I was almost expecting Hifi to be launched..but it still didn't happen.

Samppa3

They too busy concentrating on not so relevant things, I don't like the way they keep not giving customers what they've asked (better sound quality) and again they are so busy with podcasts.

https://newsroom.spotify.com/2021-08-24/opening-up-podcast-subscriptions-to-all-u-s-podcasters/

I think Im seriously thinking of leaving this sinking ship for good.

Samppa3

I know that some hate Tidal here, but atleast they are going to the right direction:

Tidal has also now changed their subscriptions and prices, here are some screenshot I found from Tidal-reddit: https://imgur.com/a/75Gy33E/

And also on the Tidal-pages: https://tidal.com/

How cool is this:

Direct Artist Payouts

- Up to 10% of your subscription is directed to the artists you listen to the most.

Fan-Centered RoyaltiesComing in 2022

The artists you stream get paid based on your streaming habits

Blueshound24

Samppa3, 

The Tidal HiFi level streams at 1411 kbps for $9.99/mo now.

Isn't that CD quality? 

Is that different from what it has been?

The HiFi plus is still $19.99.

If Tidal is offering CD quality for $9.99 that will be a game changer.