Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
LawLee

"Amid much trumpeting and hype last year, Spotify announced that it was going to launch a high-res audio tier before the end of 2021; but it seems that it did not prove to be the priority the company suggested it should be as it appears to have been parked for now – and possibly indefinitely. "

"The status of the feature was also changed to “under consideration”, effectively consigning it to an area for Spotify development where ideas are discussed and debated but not necessarily made live."...

"It was all so different in February 2021 at its Stream On event when the streaming company announced that Spotify HiFi was coming and that it was going to be a key product feature for it. It suggested it would initially launch later in 2021 in certain markets for Premium users (namely those who are paying subscribers) as it was “consistently one of the most requested new features by our users”. "
goldcd

If I had to guess what's causing the delay, I wouldn't put my money on tech or the desire of spotify and their customers to have it (everybody else seems to be able to do it) - I'd guess licensing.

I presume much as we'd pay spotify more for HD audio, spotify would have to renegotiate and pay the publishers more for the high quality content.

If I was a music publisher worried about the dominance of one streaming platform and wanting to get a better deal with them - would seem common sense to license the HD (and surround) audio to their competitors and then offer the same option to Spotify for a significant chunk of cash more - "It would be a shame if you lost your customers?" is a pretty good negotiating tactic. 

Spotify on the other end of this aren't going to want to mention dates or the topic at all - their negotiation might be "Not many peple want this, but we'll toss you a few cents extra just on the off-chance we can sell it"

Spotify's recent love of buying up podcasts is similar to Netflix putting out their own produced content - gives them something they can sell to customers, that isn't at the whim of their current music licensing deal.

Personally I'm going to hang on a few more months - I tried out the competition on various free trials. Music sounds better, apps aren't quite as nice. 

deryanyu

Finally here is a post that I can share something!!

The Spotify talk about the HiFi in the February 2021, and I didn't feel anything before..Even I already have a DAC Chord Mojo, I still use Spotify with the 320kbps quality, but after this, a lot of post trying to explanning what is HiFi, in that moment I suddenly found that:I never asking the better music quality before.

In the March, I try Tidal, truly to say, their software is really suck on my Android, but while my DAC working with it, I reallize that the sound is really different between Spotify and Tidal, so I keep them all and move the playlist to Tidal and try to use it.

Until the July, I try Qobuz, it's really give me the best sound it should be, and my new bluetooth earphone Sony's WF-1000XM4 support LDAC on the Android, I try it with best quality with Qobuz, I just can't believe that their is more and more detail I can heard better than Tidal.(Of course is about the Android limit the sample rate to 48Khz but allow LDAC to 96Khz)

When the October coming, I decide to build a sound system in my house, I got DAC, preampier,powerampier, and most important one thing is I listen to music with Roon, it support stream the Tidal and Qobuz but not Spotify, the reason I guess just because their is not Hi-res option for Spotify so I already forget about I got the subscription of Spotify...

In Jan 2022, the Spotify alreday delete from my phone with two months, but I didn't feel anything bad, maybe I got really too long time didn't use it on my phone so...

If you really love listen to music, just try Qobuz and Tidal, you will find the sound could be really different!! And you won't feel regret about it, every time while I hear something I never hear before, it give me some surprise in my life.

And truly to say now, the Tidal's software is better than March 2021 too much, is now not anything different between Spotify and Tidal now(In my category), just several tracks, it won't made me back to Spotify at all.

I decide to unsubscribe Spotify before the June 2022, because their is not any reason that Spotify can keep me here.

If I know their is something different, why I need to get down with low sound qualitiy?

BUT, I REALLY HOPE SPOTIFY HIFI COULD BE THEIR, YOU GUYS HAVE THE BIGGEST MUSIC RESOURCE LIBRARY ON THIS PLANET EARTH, YOU CAN MAKE DIFFERENT SUBSCRIBE PRICE TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE FOR DIFFERENT NEED!!!

themonarc

This is highly disappointing, and a significant messaging/product delivery failure on Spotify’s part. Making a big splash with a creator like Billie Eilish, having an official press release discussing the feature, only to go radio silent for nearly a whole year before discreetly shelving the feature indefinitely. 

Spotify - If you want to show the community you actually care about their input, you’d provide an actual timeframe and an actual reason for the delay. But we didn’t get either of these with a separate highly requested feature (lyrics- a feature where Spotify also greatly lagged behind the competition) so I’m not holding my breath. What a terrible look for a company that continues to prove it doesn’t know how to care for its users. Shame on you.

Lukematik

This is so disappointing. I will have to switch back to Tidal if this does not come soon. 

PaulMac

I agree the behaviour of Spotify has been shameful.

To build up customer expectations early last year and then just let the clock run down for 9 months saying absolutely nothing the entire time is difficult to understand.

Then when this years update finally did arrive it was a watered down version with no time frame included. As far as I'm concerned there is now very little chance of it happening this year, anyone holding out for HiFi is in for a VERY long wait. 

Sergjjii

Spotify will never move on its own as long as users pay for subscriptions. Do you want change? Stop paying for a Spotify subscription and the more people who leave them because of their lies to other services, the faster they will do something about it.

Spotify raised the price of their service on nothing, but Qobuz lowered the price. Spotify has long been a disappointment as a service, all they can do is paint buttons different colours every week and add some useless functions. And they can't do anything normal for a long time. There are far more interesting services than Spotify. I used Spotify for three years, but then I realised that the service was turning into a green swamp. The company is solely focused on making money; they don't care about the rest. If it continues like this, the end for spotify will be sad as a company.

paulove

Here is an excerpt from idropnews.com about Spotify Hifi.

Spotify seems to have decided that’s not worth the trouble for now, since there’s no obvious payoff. It’s still the biggest player in the streaming game, so Hi-Fi tracks aren’t likely to attract or win back any significant numbers of customers. Plus, Spotify has already shown it doesn’t particularly care about losing customers if supporting their needs is more trouble than its worth, as evidenced by its continued lack of support for the HomePod, or even arguably basic technologies like AirPlay 2.

Seems like Apple Music Lossless killed their plan for a higher priced tier, and now it's not worth it. 

lappymusicman

Personally I think people would return for lossless CD quality or higher as other than the sound quality they have the best user experience and also Spotify Connect BUT only if they do it soon and keep the price the same as premium or keep any rise down to no more than a couple of pounds (20%). If they leave it too long they’re good as dead I reckon. 

JaspisB

Yeah, whatever the reason for the wait, it's really not a good look.