Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
El0h1m

Regarding the table above, I don't agree with Amazon's DAC integration (Wasapi in exclusive mode). It does not work for me while Qobuz doing it without any issues.

And there's a tons of users with the same issue. So their app is even bigger dumpster.

hans-jürgen

@mctesterson wrote:

"I think I can only play Apple Music on my Macbook laptops, and possibly my Windows Desktop PC via iTunes(??)."

You could subscribe to Apple Music on Windows and listen to it with iTunes, but not with lossless streaming, only with lossy AAC. Same is true for their web player.

By the way, Deezer offers a yearly subscription to their new Premium tier including HiFi for €5.99 per month at the moment, but only per email.

LawLee

@hans-jürgen

Greetings! What Deezer email offer are you referring to? Deezer's problem in America is that $14.99/mo. for just CD quality is not compelling. Especially when you can get that from Tidal for ~$9.99/mo. Apple and Amazon trounces Deezer handily by providing CD to Hires quality for $9.99 and $7.99/mo. respectively.

Deezer needs to adjust their pricing down to the competition's level, lest they become the "Spotify" of CD quality streaming.. 

Samppa3

@hans-jürgen where can I get that offer?

I've use Deezer plenty over the years, now don't have any active subscription and they haven't sent me any offer via email regarding this particular yearly subscription discount deal. I read about it on the reddit-sub but also on the Deezer-forums.

LawLee

@El0h1m

You are right about Amazon. Their exclusive mode is unreliable. Their apps are terrible. Hopefully they continue to refine them. I did revise my table to reflect your comment. BTW

hans-jürgen

The current promo deal by Deezer is probably only sent to free accounts and/or ones that did not have a promo deal in the past already.  And it can only be offered in countries where the new Premium tier is already available. See e.g. this thread on their community:

https://en.deezercommunity.com/subscription-and-payments-5/deezer-email-offer-73176
It's likely that it will end this month, as they started sending these emails at the beginning of June. It may also have to do with their plans to be available at the stock market soon, see related press releases.

Apart from that they continue to roll out their new Premium tier including HiFi streaming for 10.99€ per month in more countries. As far as I know Brazil (one of their biggest markets) will get it in July which only has the old separate Premium and HiFi tiers yet like the U.S.

LawLee

Et al,

It turns out I did get the promotional mail about Deezer Premium at $5.99. it says nothing about Deezer HiFi being offered at any reduced rate other than the normal $14.99.

The Deezer Premium plan is lossy encoded. I see no description of the bit rate as to whether it is 256kbps or 320kbps. I'm not interested in Spotify quality. However, Deezer HiFi is limited to 16bit 1411kbps CD quality.

And why would I spend $14.99/mo. on Deezer HiFi for only CD quality when and when Qobuz offers me true HiRes at up to 24bit 192kbps for only $12.99/mo.🤷‍

vaajy

Deezer is 320K MP3 on Premium.

I think Spotify needs Hifi fast, even at more price, as Spotify's benefit is whole package.

Many would be willing to pay up to 14,99 a month for Lossless.

El0h1m

I won't pay them 14.99 for lossless. Why? I have a Hi-Res music for £10.83 (one payment of £129.99) from Qobuz. And I am happy with them.

Podcastify need to act SMART to beat the market now as I am no longer interested in just lossless CD Quality because I know how true HiRes taste.

Samppa3

I contacted Deezer and the customer service and asked them why I hadn't received any kind of email regarding the new discount. They told me that the discount yearly subscription 5.99€/month is only for those accounts that are eligible. Well, I've had few accounts and paid for Deezer for many years ago. Im not sure, but it seems to be weird that if you ever had been their customer then they just wouldn't try to lure you back into their service. Sometime ago they merged Premium and Hifi, then raised the price for 1€, so now it should definitely be hifi quality on the Premium.

Spotify is fine for me, Im currently eligible for the student price but now that they don't necessarily feel the need to better their service or provide better quality audio I might have to think what to do next. Feels awkward that Spotify otherwise is so good but one of the main things is seriously lacking (compared to what other services provide).