Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
Bonetto

Sabueso24 sorry & Sampa3 Thanks

Santouryuu

I have been using Spotify Premium for around 2 years, but I have switched to Apple Music after my plan expired because they offer lossless music, that too at the same cost of Spotify. The more time this takes, the more it will damage Spotify as people will start getting more and more used to the alternatives. Hopefully we'll finally get the promised lossless support before the year ends, at reasonable prices. I'd be willing to pay somewhat higher for Spotify, but more than double the price is asking too much

habu77

Twice the price? Haven't you been taking notice of what's going on around you? What the hooha is going on Spotify? How can you even seriously postulate an offer like this? I have impeccable sound now on Qobuz for €15 a month. I only stay with Spotify because some of my dearest albums are hosted by you but if I see them on Qobuz I'm gone. I was a rabid Spotify fan for years and years and have defended you every time someone dared question your intention to go hi-fi. "You just wait, it'll come, it'll come". And with me lots of people waited and waited in vain and now you want a hi-fi tier that costs twice as much as your premium plan, come on, seriously???

Aquarius17

Being a Google Smarthome user I must admit, that there is unfortunately no alternative to Spotify Connect. It's pitty Google itself only offers YouTube Music with it's very lousy bitrate 😖

I also tried the other integrated music services in Google Home, but they did all fail:

YouTube Music: lousy bitrate; too little music choices

Deezer: no possibility to start playlists in shuffle by voice command; they advertise a Google Wear OS app, which does not exist!

Apple Music: many playlists just stop after a few tracks; sometimes there is a nuisance message "your account is used on another device" 

Other providers like Qobuz or Tidal may have excellent bitrates but they can not be controlled by Google Home voice commands at all. I don't want to control my music via smartphone like in medieval times!

So until Spotify will offer HiFi I will stay with Apple Music (emergency solution).

I hope my ears will forgive me for mistreating them with Spotify MP3-quality for so many unnecessary years 🙉

It's as easy as that, Spotify:

no HiFi = no money

But 20 € would really be outrageous! HiFi must be included in Premium and you may provide higher studio quality and your mentioned, useless extra features for a maximum of 15 €.

El0h1m
Qobuz or Tidal connected to roon. Makes a lot of difference.
Aquarius17

@ El0h1m:

Does the voice command "Hey Google, shuffle my playlist [XXX]" work with Roon, playing music on a Google Cast loudspeaker group?

LawLee

@Aquarius17

You neglected to mention Amazon Music which has voice commanding through Alexa for $8.99US

Aquarius17

@LawLee:

Yes, I neglected to mention Amazon Music because I have a Google Smarthome controlling everything with Google Minis in each room.

vaajy

https://9to5mac.com/2022/10/24/apple-music-tv-prices-going-up/

Apple is increasing prices from today...

lappymusicman
I dumped Spotify and changed to Amazon. I bought an Amazon Echo Flex for £10 and connected it to my Marantz Hi-Fi (bypassing the constraints of Apple Airplay) and that gives me the same as Spotify Connect. I changed the wake-up name so as not to wake my other Echo so can now control hires music by my voice or through the Amazon Alexa app on my iPhone which I’ve set to play through the Echo Flex. A cheap and decent workaround.