Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Music] HiFi Quality - Lossless Streaming 16bit 44.1khz

I've just started a trial of Qobuz - they offer the standard 320kbps as well as lossless FLAC streaming (and high res downloads if you purchase them) the sound quality is noticeably better and on classical it's just wonderful to get all that resolution through your hi-fi or headphones! The catalogue has a way to go to get to Spotify's level, but they are getting there. The iPad app isn't' too bad (the desktop app is in need of an upgrade but I hear they are putting all their efforts into mobile apps right now).

So - lossless streaming - if Qobuz can do it then so can Spotify, they must have the same source - and obviously if you are asking £20 a month then those record labels and distributors take enough notice to make the high res tracks available for streaming. What this all means is soon, very soon, we will get lossless streaming and closely followed by high res downloads - but if Spotify aren't careful it will be Apple who get there first with an audiophile premium offering, and when they do it will be a much harder market place to make money in!

Updated on 2022-01-07

Hey folks,

We know that HiFi quality audio is important to you. We feel the same, and we’re excited to deliver a Spotify HiFi experience to Premium users in the future. But we don’t have timing details to share yet.

We will of course update you here when we can.

Take care.

Comments
Lakerman

Cancelled my Spotify premium account today that I've had for the past 4 years and switched to WiMP HiFi despite double the price.

Get with the program Spotify, a lot of people want lossless streaming!

HOFFERN342

Would love to have lossless streaming and offline playlists.. I use Spotify mostly on the go, but when I am home I also like to listen to music while doing other things like chatting with friends etc. and while doing that, I play music on my speaker system through HDMI, however, currently, services like Wimp give me a richer sound through my speakers than what Spotify is able to give. I know Wimp is loosing to Spotify, mostly due to the size of the library and also their horrible app, but at least they care about the sound they give to users. If I am going to blast my ears of, at least let me do it with proper sound 😉

eKristensen

Just ended my premium subscription to go for WiMP HiFi, it just sounds so much better, that features matters less. Please do this, I'll come back right away. The Spotify client is better than the one WiMP make.

Jeff100

There are plenty of others on here who are saying they would pay a premium for higher quality streaming - at least CD quality, more if possible.

I would just add my support to that!

Qobuz - streams fine, catalogue nowhere near as good as Spotify, nor is the GUI. Ideal solution would be the availability of HD streaming on the Spot.......

IsoMacintosh

"but  on Spotify about 80% iof the music is missing due to its lower bit rate."

Typical "audiophile" exaggeration. Just because you have expensive Naim system does not mean that you know anything about compression.

As for the idea, its good but i dont think it will happen.

Also qobuz and wimp are not an alternative for many because their availability is bad.

andresmoreira

Is there any ETA for this? Did Spotify has planned for the near future add Loseless Audio Quality Streaming?

timiambeing

It will soon be 200 people adding their support to this idea, thats 200 people who use Spotify and are technical enough and interested enough to find Spotify forum and post... so multiply that by all those who wold love lossless streaming but wouldn't have a clue how to get to here and add kudos to this idea and I think there is plenty of impetus for Spotify to implement lossless streaming.

But if that isn't enough reason then the fact that all the new services arriving are arriving with a lossless offering at premium price and it is being sold. I was talking to Qobus at a hi-fi show last autumn and the co-founder said they are aiming at the audiophile with both their 24bit downloads and their 16bit lossless streams and the price has never been an issue since launch. The audio quality tthough my headphone amp and SoundMagic premium headphones is amazing on Qobus classical music - quite stunning!

timiambeing

PS. Qobus advertise in the hi-fi mags now... aspirational life style ads. Not kids kicking around with skateboards listening to the top 40 tracks, but families and serious music lovers at home with their hi-fi. It's Prom time here in the UK, and the BBC are broadcasting every concert at the Royal Albert Hall over the summer live - what a brilliant tie in for Spotify to put together classical playlists of the music featured from the original albums, and good advertising for the classical labels too! Come on Spotify, I love the charts, but I'm an album buyer, always have been. I trawl the music mags and Any Decent Music app (brilliant idea!) and listen to every album released in the genres I love (which is pretty much everything but rap!) I keep the real winners in my playlists (hopefully in My Music soon when the iPad EVENTUALLY gets an updated app!). I listen most days, sometimes all day - thats lots of plays for your artists and labels and distributors! I go to Qobus for classical because with classical it matters, the bandwidth and clarity is very important and although I keep trying 320kps and it is good, it's not close to lossless. It's time for lossless Spotify, way overdue!

Fasty_123

I think Spotify should add another service 'Premium Plus', for £15 a month you get Lossless streaming at cd quality. 

I know audiophiles who have spent a lot of money on good HIFI would jump at it. As others have already said the difference in quality is clear, don't believe us, try Qobuz through a decent Dac and speakers.

If they just gave us the option, I know they are worried about it impacting on the user experience if you get buffering and have to wait for music. But why not Just make it clear it's for audiophiles who want the best sound. Then spell it out to stop the complainers. For 'Premium Plus' service you will need a minium broadband speed of.... and a good quality Dac, Amplifier and Speakers.

Come on Spotify we love music, let us hear it as the artist intended! 

timiambeing
My friend cancelled Spotify for Qobus a few months ago - he has between 1.5 and 3mb broadband which is pretty unstable and has never had a dropout with lossless streaming 🙂