Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] No Ads in Podcasts for Spotify Premium users

I pay for my subscription. Every month for years now. The main reason I am a paid-for subscriber with Spotify is so I don't have to hear ads. As I have shifted my podcast listening from other providers to Spotify to bypass ads, both from the platform as well as integrated into the content.

I expect not to hear ads on Spotify. I understand there are ads woven into the actual content of the podcast itself, but for as big of a company and the amount of leverage Spotify has, I expect to not hear ads so long as I am paying for the service.

I reached out to Spotify and got this lazy, generic answer from Joy in Spotify Customer Support: “if you're hearing ads on podcasts using this Premium account. It's possible that the podcaster integrated that ads to their podcast content”. Thanks for breaking your back on that response.

I KNOW what the ads I’m hearing are. And I understand they can’t ask podcasters to export two versions, one with integrated ads and one without. What I expect from Spotify is to either implement metadata that tags the beginning and ending of ad segments and bypass them for us, Premium subscribers, or require podcasters to give metadata timecodes that Spotify can identify to bypass them AUTOMATICALLY.

Just to be clear, even if these identifiers are put into the content, I don’t want to have to pull my phone out to hit any sort of “skip ads” button. This is literally the ONLY reason users have Premium. So get rid of the ads. It’s actually very simple. And let’s not get started on how archaic it is to continually hit the “15sec forward” button to bypass the ads, first over shooting, then undershooting the duration of the integrated ad, only to have to make peace with hearing the last ten seconds of the ad. At that point it’s not servicing either party in the transaction.

It’s 2020. You are a huge company with a lot of leverage and a huge developer budget. I honestly can’t believe I’m even having to write this suggestion.

tl:dr - Spotify, I am a Premium member. You made a promise to me that if I became a Premium member, I wouldn’t hear ads. I’m hearing ads on podcasts. Integrated or not, I don’t care. You have the technology and power to fix it. So fix it. And make it automatic. It’s 2020.

Updated on 2023-04-15

Hey folks,

The Ideas section provides users with the opportunity to share their opinion on what features and app improvements can be developed, to make Spotify better. This idea however, in it's core fundamentals, requires to change how the Premium subscription works and what opportunities Spotify offers to Podcast creators.

As part of the Premium subscription, all music can be enjoyed ad-free. And while Spotify doesn’t play ads that interrupt the music listening experience of Premium subscribers, some podcasts may include advertising, host-read endorsements, or sponsorship independently of the streaming platforms featuring such podcasts.

Providing a way to circumvent those is not something that our Idea submission process can accomplish.

This doesn't mean that your feedback isn't heard and that this request couldn't be fulfilled by some other means in the future. On the contrary, this is being monitored and we invite everyone to share their opinion in a constructive manner. We will then ensure to pass it on to the relevant teams.

Please do note, that we do understand the overall sentiment and if the thread stops being useful as a source to track constructive feedback, we will need to close it for further replies.

All the best!

Comments
an33sh

100%. Keep this **bleep** up and I swear to god I’ll transfer my playlists out and never see you again. Spotify sub for 5 years 

Lack of ads is the main reason I went premium. Watch your user base disappear if you continue**bleep** and with it, Joe will go too 

stewey

How many votes for this topic do we need before Spotify will even grace us with a single response, let alone join the conversation?

I’ve stopped listening to podcasts on Spotify altogether now and will not be sharing links to podcasts on Spotify to friends anymore. So far my experience with the Podcasts app and of course BBC Sounds is still not ruined like on Spotify. It will take a big effort from Spotify to remove all adverts entirely from podcasts for me to return to listening to any on their platform.

I am still considering moving my music subscription to another platform because this just shows what a bad direction Spotify have moved in. They may be looking after their shareholder’s short term interest but certainly not their long term interest by ruining their existing customer base and putting off new generations of customers.

We want ad free listening across the board and that is what we are prepared to pay for. Anything less is just not worth it.

asdfxcvzxc

I was absolutely shocked today to find some prerecorded spotify ads (wealth simple?) in the middle of the Joe Rogan podcast. Is this intended?

It's really alarming that premium users are paying for no ads, only to be served ads when listening to podcasts that used to be ad free. Or atleast the ads at the start where we expect them to be.

I personally pay for my spotify membership to be able to set and forget. Not get up and grab my phone to skip ads like on youtube. Ads at the start or end read by the podcaster is at least acceptable.

To be honest this feels like a slap in the face, once as a fan of Joe, and twice as a paying member of spotify premium. This is not thee way you treat your loyal customers. This honestly makes my blood boil.

Please change this or I will be switching to apple music, like many others.

TenWoodmill1

Today was my first experience with ads in the middle of a podcast. Even as a Premium subscriber I’ve brushed off the inconvenience of skipping the first 4 ad sets. Until reading other comments here I hadn’t realized I’m paying for an ad free experience that I’m not receiving.

However, I found getting hit today with a sports gambling ad in the middle of 3 hour podcast content was very disorienting. Hopefully users will take the time to log in and add a comment/vote.

autobot9000

I will be cancelling my Spotify subscription which I have had for 3 years if Ads are not immediately removed from Podcasts. With Spotify I am paying for an ad-free experience to media. Now, I might as well pay for YouTube Premium as most of the podcasts I listen to are on YouTube anyways and YouTube has plenty of music and videos to be able to listen to with an ad free experience. 

stopadsonprem

Terrible customer service, am I paying to have ads served to me

Jayb1rd

As stated by several people before me: I pay spotify so I can have an ad-free experience. I trust big companies about as far as I can throw them, and this makes me wonder how long it'll take before spotofy decides to pull this with the music as well. I might as well not pay premium if I'm going to get ads anyway. I might as well listen to podcasts on YouTube at this rate, which I'm strongly considering right now. The ads are just as long and annoying, and most creators who put them on put them in the exact same places.

I didn't even get warned about this ridiculous change. They better figure out an algorithm so we don't need to hear this, because they've now loed to their entire user base. 

If spotify wants to support podcasts, do they not give them some of the revenue per listen? Premium users shouldn't have to listen to ads for spotify to be able to support podcasts. YouTube premium doesn't play ads, and YouTube has plenty of the same podcasts as spotify. 

Tobeuss

Why is this even an Idea? Premium means NO-ADS in the mind of your users. Don’t make us vote, fix it.

ste111penna

exactly! we are all paying for ads-free experience and this is not what we paid for. It is very annoying, so please listen to your multi-years supporters and fix the issue by removing the ads. 

xhkpw

I hate premium ads.

to be honest, if have to listen to ads then I’m going to cancel and use the free services and YouTube. 

Mostly I feel insulted. Spotify knows full well they have ads popping up for premium users. 

I won’t be surprised when the future class action suite arrives.