Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Option to have a true shuffle

So I’ve been noticing more and more recently that Spotify’s default shuffle feature doesn’t fully shuffle your songs. It does some sort of grouping to try to get similar songs together based off of what I’m sure is dozens of factors. Every time I shuffle a playlist (the one I noticed this with the most is ~100 songs and 6 hours of mostly full albums) it will group the songs mostly or completely together by album/artist, and given the number of times I’ve re-shuffled and checked the order there’s no way it’s just a coincidence. They also generally seem to be in the same order as well. If I hit shuffle play on a playlist it’ll generally put the same artists at the beginning every time.

With larger playlists of albums I am really not a fan of this shuffling method. If I have 6 hours of music on a playlist I will hardly ever have 6 hours to actually listen through the whole thing, but when I do listen to it I would like to hear all of the music on it equally, and not just the artist or two your algorithm likes to shuffle to first.

Anyways, I’m a reasonable man, all I’m asking for is an option to have a true shuffle (take all songs in the list, put them in a random order, and once they’re all played reshuffle them and play them again). Make it premium only if you want. I don’t think you should scrap the current shuffle algorithm because it sucks. Looking at some of the suggestions on here it seems like some people lobbied hard to have it that way. Just add an option for a true shuffle for those of us that don’t care about potentially getting the same song twice in a row.

Updated on 2021-09-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your votes and for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

As this idea has gathered a fair amount of votes, we've discussed it with the relevant team once again. We actually want to take a closer look at what you're experiencing and get some of you in touch with our devs.

@jonathanleyerle- since you initiated the thread it would be great if we can have you on board.

@j4m1eb, @PrestonSale@decker12@jules99- what you mention is particularly interesting, so we'd like to have you on board as well.

We'll send you more info via Community PM, so please make sure they're enabled in your Community settings.

If anyone else is interested in participating, please let us know in this thread. We'll reach out to you, should we need more folks.

Thanks!

Comments
rozeboosje

If only there was an alternative that allows you to randomise a play list.

*giggles*

patmac

Sad to say, but I think I have to move platforms or go back managing my own music if all the streaming platforms are doing this. The lack of action to implement true shuffle is only explained by spotify's greed and willingness to prioritize whatever music makes them more money. They are destroying music enjoyment for profit. Probably have been for a long time.

rozeboosje

If only there were a streaming platform that does have the option to randomise your play list.

*giggles again*

Mookpsu
Maybe one day Jeff Bezos will launch an Amazon Music service that has a
true random shuffle!!!
rozeboosje

Gngnngngngngnngnngnngngngngngngnghehehhehehhehhehehehhehe

t3chfre4k

wth! Spotify made it again! F*ckn up the experience even more! First they implemented the optimize button, nice add, nothing removed.

Then turned it into a second shuffle mode instead, that sucked on multiple levels.

Now they've made it into an optimize button again, but removed the good old radio based on playlist function. You can still start a radio based on a single song, but not in playlists. Then some would say, just use the optimize button, yes I would! But it doesn't work on anything other than your own playlists, other user's playlists or curated playlists can't be optimized or turned into radio based anymore and that f*ckin sucks since that was a big part of my listening experience!

Spotify keeps killing their darlings and it makes me so frustrated!

Netadmin1

It is becoming apparent to me that Spotify is not listening to any of us out here, the last update from them was on 09-14-2021 regarding this matter. So lets recap my random play repeats songs with in a few hours and does not come close to playing all of my liked songs (1000 of them) Furthermore, I have turned off shuffle mode and am trying to just play through my entire "Liked" play list and that does not work either, it often starts my FAV's back from the beginning of the list on its own, I do not know what is going on, however, I am looking into Amazon Music right now as they are being very aggressive trying to get my biz. It won't be to hard to cut over to a new music platform, just time consuming attempting to get a similar liked list. 

Yours truly, a customer fading away...

t3chfre4k

@Netadmin1

Here's a solution for making the transition to another service a piece of cake.

I promised spotify in my latest mail to them that I would make it my goal to make them lose as many customers I could until they sort their sh*t out.

I've been supporting this joke of a company since January 2009.
Netadmin1

@t3chfre4k thanks good stuff, I will look into it as getting my exact play list converted to another service, I too will be seriously looking into other music platforms including Apple Music, Amazon Music, and Pandora, we'll see who has the reviews and features I now know that I want after being on my 1st music subscription (Spotify) which is lacking in support, work random play and seemingly over all dissatisfaction from masses. JTR

rozeboosje

It's been over a year now since I moved to Amazon Music. Don't get me wrong.... Amazon Music is far from perfect itself but it has not got problems as mindnumbingly stupid as THIS.

I can't remember how exactly I did it, but I do remember searching for migrating play lists and I found a tool that let me migrate my play lists from Spotify to Amazon Music. I can't remember what it was called but I found it easily that time and I hope it's still the same today. They had a free option that migrated up to 1000 songs for a play list. If I remember correctly you could pay for another option that would let you migrate your play list regardless the size. It wasn't too expensive but I didn't need it myself.