Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

[All Platforms] Option to have a true shuffle

So I’ve been noticing more and more recently that Spotify’s default shuffle feature doesn’t fully shuffle your songs. It does some sort of grouping to try to get similar songs together based off of what I’m sure is dozens of factors. Every time I shuffle a playlist (the one I noticed this with the most is ~100 songs and 6 hours of mostly full albums) it will group the songs mostly or completely together by album/artist, and given the number of times I’ve re-shuffled and checked the order there’s no way it’s just a coincidence. They also generally seem to be in the same order as well. If I hit shuffle play on a playlist it’ll generally put the same artists at the beginning every time.

With larger playlists of albums I am really not a fan of this shuffling method. If I have 6 hours of music on a playlist I will hardly ever have 6 hours to actually listen through the whole thing, but when I do listen to it I would like to hear all of the music on it equally, and not just the artist or two your algorithm likes to shuffle to first.

Anyways, I’m a reasonable man, all I’m asking for is an option to have a true shuffle (take all songs in the list, put them in a random order, and once they’re all played reshuffle them and play them again). Make it premium only if you want. I don’t think you should scrap the current shuffle algorithm because it sucks. Looking at some of the suggestions on here it seems like some people lobbied hard to have it that way. Just add an option for a true shuffle for those of us that don’t care about potentially getting the same song twice in a row.

Updated on 2024-05-01

Hello everyone, 

Thank you for your continued engagement and valuable feedback on this idea. 

I'm afraid there hasn't been any change on the status of this idea since our last update. However, we've been reading all your comments and feedback which have been incredibly insightful. 

We’ll keep you folks posted as soon as we have any new info to share.

Comments
jlesieur

Ladies and gents....stop making excuses for why you're staying with them. If you continue to give Spotify your money, why would they change?

By all means, stay with them, change nothing and continue coming here to complain; I love popping in every month or so for some comedy relief. Or...here's a concept, maybe give your money to a company that actually invests in its customers. Crazy thought, right? I'm FAR happier with my new music streaming service, for many reasons in ADDITION TO an actual, true shuffled playlist. 

STOP GIVING GREEDY CORPORATIONS YOUR MONEY!!!!!

rozeboosje

Can I get an Amen?

zx6dude

Amen! 

Mookpsu
Reading all the Spotify complaints is so much more enjoyable when you're 6+
hours into a custom playlist on Amazon Music and have yet to hear the same
song twice! And yes, the current Amazon Music app does not save your
progress when you close it and that is horrifically frustrating but the
easy fix is to find the APK for version 17.16.3 and that problem is solved.
Just make sure you switch off auto updates in the Play Store. I'm now going
to go back to my no repeats shuffle, cheers!
rednblu

Double-clicking on these two playlists, One then Two, in Spotify desktop is easier

--  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7hMsiGIeugse1si7XPpBH6?si=ce37212ad36b4d29 --  https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2BVrH7SObDFxFMbLUO2CxI?si=2c8d11b17f914735 

-- As you wish, set the crossed arrows in Spotify desktop to the kind of shuffle you want.  For mobile, just Connect and play the on-going shuffle play from desktop to mobile, and when you hear the shuffled music playing through your mobile, you can sleep your desktop, and go with Waze-- How far are you going?

luciano9429

In your opinion, what is the best alternative service for random playback? I wanted to try Tidal but I saw that many recommend Apple

rozeboosje

"best alternative service"

I am not entirely sure, some of us have moved to alternative providers and we all seem to be happy with the choices we made. People moved to Apple Music, YouTube Music, Amazon Music. My own experience is with Amazon Music and I find the shuffle seems to work just fine when I'm on the move and I bluetooth my phone to my car radio, and in the App on my Laptop I use their option to "randomise playlist" when I get to the end of the playlist and I want to reorder it. Both seem to be doing the job.

I was tempted to try out Apple Music because it allows you to upload anything from your home library that isn't available in their normal streaming offering, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get beyond their request to log in with an "Apple ID". I created a login for my email address and now it doesn't like it for the Apple Music app because it wants an "Apple ID" and when I try to set it up it says my email address is "unavailable".... it just takes me round and round in circles and their support has been unable to help me.... But obviously that's just me as others here seem blissfully happy with it....

zx6dude

Apple music and Amazon music have trials, personally, I used them both to decide what I was happier with. I decided to stick with AM as I find their software easier to use.

For me, both have a major failing in not being able to do handovers from one device to another, but on both I've heard songs on my playlist that I hadn't listened to in a long while. 

If Spotify fixed the shuffle, they would be my preferred choice. Between the lack of a proper shuffle without repeats and the total disregard for what customers want, I'm quite happy to live with shortcomings on other providers, at least I'm no longer starting to hate songs I love because they are constantly being played.

I'm on this forum out of curiosity, I want to see if anything happens, but I think Spotify will only fix this if it starts costing them money, and for that to happen, customers need to leave in high numbers, which I can't see happening. 

PandidaBear

This is definitely something I want to see in the near future! I hate when I'm looking at my repeat rewind and I see songs that I still like, and I'm like, the only reason that I don't listen to those songs is because spotify isn't playing them to me, and I'm on free, so I can't exactly play them myself (unless I'm on a computer) which is really annoying

PandidaBear

Anyone have a good alternative music providers for free?