Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Option to have a true shuffle

So I’ve been noticing more and more recently that Spotify’s default shuffle feature doesn’t fully shuffle your songs. It does some sort of grouping to try to get similar songs together based off of what I’m sure is dozens of factors. Every time I shuffle a playlist (the one I noticed this with the most is ~100 songs and 6 hours of mostly full albums) it will group the songs mostly or completely together by album/artist, and given the number of times I’ve re-shuffled and checked the order there’s no way it’s just a coincidence. They also generally seem to be in the same order as well. If I hit shuffle play on a playlist it’ll generally put the same artists at the beginning every time.

With larger playlists of albums I am really not a fan of this shuffling method. If I have 6 hours of music on a playlist I will hardly ever have 6 hours to actually listen through the whole thing, but when I do listen to it I would like to hear all of the music on it equally, and not just the artist or two your algorithm likes to shuffle to first.

Anyways, I’m a reasonable man, all I’m asking for is an option to have a true shuffle (take all songs in the list, put them in a random order, and once they’re all played reshuffle them and play them again). Make it premium only if you want. I don’t think you should scrap the current shuffle algorithm because it sucks. Looking at some of the suggestions on here it seems like some people lobbied hard to have it that way. Just add an option for a true shuffle for those of us that don’t care about potentially getting the same song twice in a row.

Updated on 2021-09-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for your votes and for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

As this idea has gathered a fair amount of votes, we've discussed it with the relevant team once again. We actually want to take a closer look at what you're experiencing and get some of you in touch with our devs.

@jonathanleyerle- since you initiated the thread it would be great if we can have you on board.

@j4m1eb, @PrestonSale@decker12@jules99- what you mention is particularly interesting, so we'd like to have you on board as well.

We'll send you more info via Community PM, so please make sure they're enabled in your Community settings.

If anyone else is interested in participating, please let us know in this thread. We'll reach out to you, should we need more folks.

Thanks!

Comments
sadastronaut

@teollo, you are good. I think these suggestions are helpful. I'm sorry that people feel that they have to take out their frustrations on you. Yes, I agree. Spotify should address this. But until they do, we have to either find some imperfect solution or go to another service.

Bartieboy557

Plan Premium

Count

(Premium)

Country

(netherlands)

Device

(Android)

Operating System

( Android 13)

Device

(Samsung)

Operating System

(Android 13)  

My Question or Issue

( add Smart shuffle worldwide!

And rollout to everyone People wait for this function we all

Waiting For Release in the feature )

rozeboosje

I think that a form of "smart" shuffle is exactly what the problem is here. We don't want a "smart" shuffle. Shuffle should be as simple as possible: rearrange the entire play list in a randomized order, and then allow the user to play it in this new order from top to bottom. That's it. Nothing else required.

stig444l

I really don't need you to tell me which songs I want to/ not want to listen to. I should be able to shuffle through my entire Playlist before hearing a certain song/songs over and over and over again . It can't be that difficult. Just give us the choice of a true shuffle button. This has been discussed on this forum for years with no solution. Especially when I'm paying over $100 a year for premium.

stevemcgowan1954

it really is stupid that spotify cannot handle large files of songs,it should be made clear when you sign up.By now 2023 this should have been sorted.

alyluander

Please for the love of all that is good and holy, add an option for true shuffle!!

While sometimes prioritizing what songs Spotify thinks someone will prefer is nice, it just leads to people getting fatigued with listening to the same songs over and over. Spotify is a great tool for discovering new music, but if Spotify's shuffle algorithm never lets you listen to it, then what's the point? 

jdg072

Put it on social media and share/like it, because here no one sees you needs.

UserID5342287

There should be an option when pressing shuffle to set to the following options:

• Prioritize frequently played songs and related
  • Prioritize less played songs
  • True Shuffle

True shuffle should be the default or first (or only) option.

There should be an obtion in settings to customize player to do the following:

When repeat is set to repeat playlist:

• When playlist finishes, repeat playlist in same shuffled order
  • When playlist finishes, repeat playlist in a new shuffled order

When repeat is off:

• When playlist finishes, stop player
  • When playlist finishes, play radio based on playlist
  • When playlist finishes, continue with songs in queue

These options could be found in settings. 

stig444l
How about just one button where you can turn PRIORITZE OFF???
jimfath

Sadly I think they will never institute this SIMPLE feature because it probably loses money as some songs are cheaper to play than others.

They keep looping the same songs because they're cheaper to play than other songs on your list. I have a few playlists with beatles songs on them and have NEVER heard one. 

The only way to truly randomize your playlist is to go to an app that will re-order your playlist and then you play it linearly in the the new random order. I've used https://www.spotify-shuffler.com/#/ and it's ok. You do have to re-lable it and delete your old list. Also you lose any followers etc. 

https://www.spotify-shuffler.com/#/