Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
FlorianM

Hey, I am quite sad to read that Spotify decided not to move forward with this idea, for now. While I perfectly understand the hassle and the possible user confusion about them, there are relatively seamless 2FA methods to authentication users, such as U2F tokens and Duo Push. Also Spotify already deploys mobile apps, so there could also be a confirmation alert window popping when there is an authentication attempt on the web interface. While I appreciate the security advices to harden one's account, password-only is really obsolete, as of 2017, and several security agencies push toward more secure authentication schemes. This is particularly true considering Spotify password policy tolerates fairly weak passwords, at time of writing. Could you please reconsider? 🙂 ❤️ Thanks.

jmdeiter

As someone who just had their account compromised I would welcome this feature. It should defintely be necessary with pretty much any software we have today with all the data getting compromised.

Leorichard8712

Spotify has been stealing money for over a year and i just found out because i received a call for my bank account being overdrafted and this is not the first time.

My account is set to free and they have been charging me for over a year!!! I dont even recieve premium perks.

Jbucklee

I just got hacked. Please get at least the SMS two factor going. 

goldug

I don't understand why Spotify doesn't want to enable 2-factor authentication. It's not difficult to implement, it solves a lot of security issues and it's not making it more difficult to use Spotify for the end user.

The only reason I can see for Spotify not using it is that their programmers doesn't know how to do it. But that's preposterous, right?

Yeah i guess if enough people get there accpunts hacked then they might realize that it's needed/wanted. Or somebody should make a petition against Spotify for them too add it.
Kiwivda

You should really go for two step. My account has just been compromised,and that wouldn't have been possible with two step authentication.

elborro

Please reconsider and implement 2FA. With friends who are normally quite carefull showing their accounts compromised, I just can't wait to protect mine with more efficient means than just a (generated) password.

nozboss

This is a JOKE. I'm paying a lot of money for this service and YET AGAIN I've lost access to my account. Using a password that I literally have never used on any other website before (so I'm not sure how hackers are getting it, other than through spotify!!)

IMPLEMENT TWO-STEP VERIFICATION OR I WILL BE CANCELLING MY MEMBERSHIP.

haykal2robot

This 2 -step authentication will be very much appreciated. But, if this idea is this on hold, could Spotify please, at least, add one more step in changing email address of the Spotify account. If other obtain my password, they can easily change my email to his/her own email and left me clueless since there are no notification email sent to the previous email.

Well, of course, I can always contact Spotify customer support to assist me on this. But, now that I have already experienced this, I can never feel safe anymore until addtional security step is implemented by Spotify.