Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
sonar-

Enable 2FA! And then please also let us disable other stupid login methods, like the one-click-link login. Getting harassed by Spotify "Finish your login" e-mails from people thinking they have my username. There is currently no way to opt out of this.

Chaos2u

I Agree with all comments here, MFA should be a must for anything internet related.

There are a lot of suppliers out there to help you with implementing this.

DatBoi786

Absoultely mind-boggling that Spotify still does not have 2FA as we are nearing 2023. Extremely embarassing as nearly every other account I have (from many companies with much less to work with, mind you) has 2FA support.

Rangednare

2FA are there since there are banks on earth (1472) Why still not a 2FA option in almost 2023?

t3chfre4k

You kid me not spotify. What are you doing all day long? Eating Doritos and collecting belly button lint? Get your act together. It doesn't seem like you want people to pay for your services. You've grown out of your mind and become an ignorant behemoth. So this is what we pay for? Three years of waiting plus five years of maybe considering to look into it? Come on, you can't be worse than literally any other tech company on earth? Or is it your goal?

walp

More than 7 years and MFA still not implemented? Like HiFi.

Spotify really is a joke.

Juanrk96

Would be great. Some times my account is being used by someone that I still can't figure out who it is (each time it happens I have to change passwrods and delete a lot of playlists that aren't mine. Happened 3 times by now).
I weared that spotify wants to keep the app as simple as posible, but at least make the 2-Factor Authentication as an optional feature for users.

Flagg2kj

It's been since 2018 someone from Spotify has responded and it's disheartening that nothing has been done these years, not even text authentication.  I'm trying SO hard to resist going to that OTHER fruity music service since everything there is secure, but I love Spotify better.  PlEaSe, Spotify, let's get MFA done, with options for either text auth. or by an authenticator app like Authy.  Please make 2023 safer for your customers.  Thanks!

mychaelconnolly
  • It is now 8 years after user ThomasVH created this Live Idea Community post and Spotify still lacks MFA as a security feature for its users' accounts.
  • As of Q3, 2022, there are 456 million total Monthly Active Users on this platform (Source).
  • This Spotify Support article both makes a false claim: ("Our platform and user records are secure") and dodges accountability in one sentence ("sometimes breaches on other services means [sic] someone else may log into your Spotify account."

As a cybersecurity professional, I am flabbergasted. Spotify holds a vast amount of personally identifiable customer information and is beholden to shareholders. How do they explain this lack of modern security to investors? Who is accountable for this decision?

walp
"How do they explain?"

Easy : they don't...