Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms][Other] 2-Factor Authentication

Spotify should, as a matter of good practice and safety, implement 2-step authentication.

Previously, Spotify enabled the option to log out other sessions other than the current session.

This would prevent hackers from stealing accounts, which would additionaly lead to less account hacks and less work for Spotify employees to assist in these cases.

More info: https://twofactorauth.org

Updated on 2018-10-18

Hi everyone, thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange. We’re ready to mark this idea as ‘Under Consideration’. 

We are currently investigating various solutions for account security for our users, e.g. 2-factor authentication. Any news regarding user-facing security updates will be posted to this thread as a status change.

If you'd like further information about protecting your account please visit our Support Site here.

Comments
nell

it has been 2,787 days since this idea was first posted.

it has been 1,424 days since the idea was marked as "under consideration" (don't make me sick into my own scorn about that)

it has been 289 days since we had the absolute travesty of a response to tell us that "[2FA] is currently not a specific legal requirement".

I still get an average of 16-20 "reset your password" e-mails per month from someone who wants to try to steal my account. absolutely ludicrous.

MalikP_EU

kudos to you, you counted days :D.. to solve problem with reset emails is to stop premium then attacker will have not interest to hack your account 😉 😄

SaschaG1

Or change the e-mail address. This "solution" is not my first time on spotify. 

Wubwubwooble
No, they definitely still want your account. I don't have premium and I had
someone in Egypt listening to their football**bleep** on mine.
MalikP_EU

Hmm they want to have free account ? isn't it easier to register new one ? 😄 Interesting

nell

my email is very likely not the primary reason my account is subject to so many attempts to "hack" it. most likely it's because, since I opened my account so early in spotify's existence, my username is short and is also an actual name. so "nell" is apparently an account name people really want.

msephton

In fact there was an older request for 2FA, posted on 2013-06-20.

So we're past the 9th anniversary of this mess. 

Also, no offence meant but @MalikP_EU your contributions to this thread add a lot of unnecessary noise. 

PelleRavn

This feature have been suggested since 2015, and with the state of software security and people accounts getting leaked/hacked, this should be on the very top of the priority list. I know Spotify isn't like the place of most private stuff, but every service that respects its users and their account safety, should have this feature.

Wubwubwooble
You can literally put your address in Spotify, and your credit card info
that hackers can potentially see, soooo...
tomharding

Upvoted. The login system is abysmal and way out of date. The Facebook method doesn't work for me and I never feel secure when logging in normally. Spotify desperately needs 2FA because it's supremely easy for anyone to get in.